Old 29-06-2005, 03:11 AM
Mordwid

Default Please identify tree by this leaf

be great if anyone could give me the heads up on what this tree would be....

http://www.trick.com.au/tree_leaf_autumn.jpg

thanks!

Old 29-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Mordwid wrote:
be great if anyone could give me the heads up on what this tree would
be....

http://www.trick.com.au/tree_leaf_autumn.jpg

thanks!

I'm not saying you won't find assistance here, but this /is/ a UK-oriented
group and many will not be familiar with antipodean botany. Having said
that, it looks very similar to the Sweetgum (/Liquidamber sytraciflua/)
which is puzzling because, according to my research, it is a native of the
eastern and southern States, not Australia at all, but the leaf is very
similar, so it could be a related species.

I have to say that my first reaction on seeing it was that it was some kind
of maple (/Acer/) but I've not found one that matches.

Anyway, the sweetgum can be found here
(http://www.keele.ac.uk/university/ar.../sweet_gum.htm).

Old 29-06-2005, 04:17 AM
Mordwid

much appreciated....thought I'd give the UK newsgroup a go as I thought
being deciduous it was probably from your neck of the woods - excuse the pun
;-))

the link was good - I will now search on the Liquidamber sytraciflua
downunder.

cheers again !

Old 29-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Mordwid wrote:
much appreciated....thought I'd give the UK newsgroup a go as I
thought being deciduous it was probably from your neck of the woods -
excuse the pun ;-))

the link was good - I will now search on the Liquidamber sytraciflua
downunder.

cheers again !

Hey, you're welcome - anytime, friend! ;o)

Solstice blessings,

Sarah

Old 29-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Kay

In article , Miss Perspicacia
Tick writes
Mordwid wrote:
be great if anyone could give me the heads up on what this tree would
be....

http://www.trick.com.au/tree_leaf_autumn.jpg

thanks!

I'm not saying you won't find assistance here, but this /is/ a UK-oriented
group and many will not be familiar with antipodean botany. Having said
that, it looks very similar to the Sweetgum (/Liquidamber sytraciflua/)
which is puzzling because, according to my research, it is a native of the
eastern and southern States, not Australia at all, but the leaf is very
similar, so it could be a related species.

But the liquidamber is a relatively commonly planted in gardens here.
Don't know it well enough to confirm the identification, though.

--
Kay