GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lavenders where to buy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96632-lavenders-where-buy.html)

Janet Tweedy 29-06-2005 11:05 AM

Lavenders where to buy

Norfolk lavender have stopped mail order for the summer but I'd like to
buy several varieties of angustifolia for my new pergola.

I don't trust ordinary garden centres as many have used seed to
propagate their varieties as opposed to cuttings from named plants,
which means you may not get the true named lavender.

Apart from Norfolk lavender does anyone have experience of reliable
(i.e. plants labelled correctly) lavender growers by mail order.

I wondered about Jersey Lavender who also hold a national collection so
should be good at identification.
I'd like to collect all the angustifolia varieties.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

June Hughes 29-06-2005 11:24 AM

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Norfolk lavender have stopped mail order for the summer but I'd like to
buy several varieties of angustifolia for my new pergola.

I don't trust ordinary garden centres as many have used seed to
propagate their varieties as opposed to cuttings from named plants,
which means you may not get the true named lavender.

Apart from Norfolk lavender does anyone have experience of reliable
(i.e. plants labelled correctly) lavender growers by mail order.

I wondered about Jersey Lavender who also hold a national collection so
should be good at identification.
I'd like to collect all the angustifolia varieties.

Janet

http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com

HTH
--
June Hughes

Janet Baraclough 29-06-2005 12:03 PM

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Norfolk lavender have stopped mail order for the summer but I'd like to
buy several varieties of angustifolia for my new pergola.

I don't trust ordinary garden centres as many have used seed to
propagate their varieties as opposed to cuttings from named plants,
which means you may not get the true named lavender.

Apart from Norfolk lavender does anyone have experience of reliable
(i.e. plants labelled correctly) lavender growers by mail order.

Yebbut..do *any* mailorder nurseries send out plants in full growth
in high summer?

Norfolk Lavender do quite a number of the plant and flower shows
afaik, you could ask them for dates and venues nearest to Bucks and buy
from the stand.

Janet.

Rupert 29-06-2005 01:40 PM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Norfolk lavender have stopped mail order for the summer but I'd like to
buy several varieties of angustifolia for my new pergola.

I don't trust ordinary garden centres as many have used seed to
propagate their varieties as opposed to cuttings from named plants,
which means you may not get the true named lavender.

Apart from Norfolk lavender does anyone have experience of reliable
(i.e. plants labelled correctly) lavender growers by mail order.

Yebbut..do *any* mailorder nurseries send out plants in full growth
in high summer?

Norfolk Lavender do quite a number of the plant and flower shows
afaik, you could ask them for dates and venues nearest to Bucks and buy
from the stand.

Janet.

It annoys me that some of the nurseries don't supply during summer. However
, some do and in the case of lavenders you could try
http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/3864/1

Christopher Norton 29-06-2005 02:08 PM

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Norfolk lavender have stopped mail order for the summer but I'd like to
buy several varieties of angustifolia for my new pergola.

I don't trust ordinary garden centres as many have used seed to
propagate their varieties as opposed to cuttings from named plants,
which means you may not get the true named lavender.

Apart from Norfolk lavender does anyone have experience of reliable
(i.e. plants labelled correctly) lavender growers by mail order.

I wondered about Jersey Lavender who also hold a national collection so
should be good at identification.
I'd like to collect all the angustifolia varieties.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Try Dr Simon Charlesworth at http://www.downderry-nursery.co.uk/

Personal friend of the family and actually supplies Norfolk Lavender
with some of their stock (extrememly little known fact).

He be the man for all things lavender by all accounts.

June Hughes 29-06-2005 02:59 PM

In message , Christopher Norton
writes
[...]

That is a lovely site. Thanks.
--
June Hughes

Janet Tweedy 30-06-2005 11:29 PM

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Norfolk Lavender do quite a number of the plant and flower shows
afaik, you could ask them for dates and venues nearest to Bucks and buy
from the stand.

Janet.

Good idea Janet, I don't get to many shows so had no idea they were at
the assorted venues. My nearest GOOD show is Chenies Plant fair this
month so perhaps I'll go along and see if they are there or email them
as you suggest for their dates.

Janet

Janet Tweedy 30-06-2005 11:32 PM

In article , Christopher Norton
writes

Try Dr Simon Charlesworth at http://www.downderry-nursery.co.uk/

Personal friend of the family and actually supplies Norfolk Lavender
with some of their stock (extrememly little known fact).

He be the man for all things lavender by all accounts.

I have heard of him because he has a national collection I believe.
Thanks for the information, I will certainly follow this lead up.
Many thanks Christopher. I had always assumed it was in Ireland for some
strange reason but have now checked and might even be able to visit!

Janet

Christopher Norton 01-07-2005 01:29 PM

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , Christopher Norton
writes

Try Dr Simon Charlesworth at http://www.downderry-nursery.co.uk/

Personal friend of the family and actually supplies Norfolk Lavender
with some of their stock (extrememly little known fact).

He be the man for all things lavender by all accounts.

I have heard of him because he has a national collection I believe.
Thanks for the information, I will certainly follow this lead up.
Many thanks Christopher. I had always assumed it was in Ireland for some
strange reason but have now checked and might even be able to visit!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

The name is rather misleading but its in deepest kent!!!!!!

Lovely place, not too big (couple of acres) and walled.
The scent of lavender is sometimes overpowering.

Magellan 01-07-2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Norton
Try Dr Simon Charlesworth at http://www.downderry-nursery.co.uk/

Personal friend of the family and actually supplies Norfolk Lavender
with some of their stock (extrememly little known fact).

He be the man for all things lavender by all accounts.

Great lead, thanks Christopher. Kent is a fair ride from Cornwall but fortunately en route to visiting Mother in Folkstone. I'll be calling in to stock up for my new herb garden when next I head East!

Janet Baraclough 01-07-2005 02:57 PM

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Norfolk Lavender do quite a number of the plant and flower shows
afaik, you could ask them for dates and venues nearest to Bucks and buy
from the stand.

Janet.

Good idea Janet, I don't get to many shows so had no idea they were at
the assorted venues. My nearest GOOD show is Chenies Plant fair this
month so perhaps I'll go along and see if they are there or email them
as you suggest for their dates.

If they're goingto Chenies, you could probably order/reserve the
lavenders you want, to make sure they bring some along. Quite a number
of nurseries who don't do mail order, will bring orders to a show for
collection.

Janet

Janet

Janet Tweedy 02-07-2005 09:19 PM

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

If they're goingto Chenies, you could probably order/reserve the
lavenders you want, to make sure they bring some along. Quite a number
of nurseries who don't do mail order, will bring orders to a show for
collection.

Janet

Oh yes, must get a list of stall holders for the day. Thanks janet,
should have realised that myself. Hope there's someone with lavenders
coming:)