Old 30-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I know a lady doctor who tells a painful tale of the bloke who claimed
he was vacuuming the stairs with a Hoover Dustette, déshabillé, and who
sustained dreadful injuries to - um - well, to have fitted, it *MUST*
have been a bit of a weed...

..to keep on topic.

New Scientist circa 1982.

Probably happened a number of times - this particular doc was a hospital
doctor, and was I think, in A&E at the time.

Mind you, it could well have been the same chopp - er - chopping.

Some of those devices have a fan inside with nasty sharp metal blades.
People should check the clearance before inserting things (or
accidentally sucking them in whilst vacuuming the stairs).

Hoover Dustette vanes aren't particularly sharp, but they do whizz round
at (IIRC) 1400 rpm.

I think it's part of the Darwin syndrome.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Hoover Dustette vanes aren't particularly sharp, but they do whizz round
at (IIRC) 1400 rpm.

I think it's part of the Darwin syndrome.

I think you experimented? :-)

My Hoover Dustette is like the wide-mouthed frog, and has a slot, not a
circular hole for attaching/inserting 'accessories'.

__________________
Sort-of, like this: (__________________)
/\
Urm, - THAT up there / \ might be misconstrued: I think I'll try to show the
whole thing... ¯||¯
__________
(==========)
¯¯¯)¯¯(¯¯¯
__/ \__
/__________\
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|__________|
| |
) (
/ Bag \

Old 01-07-2005, 07:39 AM
gray

Its now getting too late in the year to apply roundup etc, as most of
the annual weeds have already set seed.

So remember the old adage 'one years seeds, seven years weeds'

There is no getting round the problem quickly.

I personally would still apply roundup now to get the perenial weeds.
Strim the remaining brash down with a metal cutter on a petrol
strimmer or use a hand sythe. Then burn or cover the remaining brash
with carpets or pvc sheeting. Open up the ground again in spring to
allow the seeds to germinate, then hit them again with roundup when
they are nice and tender.

If you plan not to use the area for a year, instead of using roundup
in the spring, apply something like pathclear or sodium chlorate to
the ground just before the seeds start to germinate. This should last
for nearly a year.

Professionally I would never rotovate or even rotavate the ground, as
this keeps bringing seeds back up to the surface, and also chops up
couch grass, ground elder, and bindweed. Keep the seeds buried.

I have seen pro lawn layers rotovate ground up, with elder in it,
reflatten it, and then lay the turf. Only to find the lawn covered and
I mean covered with ground elder the following year.

Check out http://www.gb-online.co.uk/gardening...lery/index.htm for
typical examples