Old 29-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Chris Bacon

Default Nasty biting insect?

I found an insect the other day that I don't recognise. It was
like a sort of mosquito, but bigger and nastier looking. Length
16mm. The head, thorax, and abdomen were well defined segments.
The head was comparatively small, 2mm long, with two small
feelers right at the front, coming from a point and diverging,
like an upside-down Fu Manchu moustache. The eyes were large on
each side of the head, and pink-looking. There was a big nasty-
looking black proboscis (length 4mm), which could move from a
position under the head to one sticking out towards the front.
The thorax had a top which had a "combed" or reeded appearance
front-back, browny-black, 3mm long. The straight abdomen was
possibly 2mm wide, less in vertical cross-section. There was a
small pointy bit at the rear end, less than 1mm long. There were
dark grey/lighter grey bands from side to side of the abdomen.
The wings were shiny, colourless and transparent, with rounded
ends like oar blades.

Was this a nasty biter, or just a nasty looker? Any pointers
to possible pictures?

A bite on my forearmhas just healed - there was first a small
red hole, like a very enlarged pore, which developed a raised
doghnut-with-a-hole appearance. The skin around this blistered
and the area became inflamed. A hardened lump 1" across could
be felt under my skin. This took nearly a fortnight to heal.
It was very itchy! What abstrad could have been responsible?
Old 29-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote:
[...]

I re-open this to add that it had quite long (12mm) spindly black
legs, the very ends of which could form tight curls or hoohs.

Old 29-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Totty

Chris Bacon wrote:
[...]

Two wings or four?

Jo

Old 29-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Chris Bacon

Totty wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
[...]

Two, although I didn't look *too* closely at them. They overlapped
when the insect was at rest. They were very clear, and as I said,
very rounded at the ends.
Old 30-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:57:04 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

[...]

Could it have been a sort of scorpion fly ?
There are a number of similar animals which don't have the "sting" at the
end of the abdomen.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/e...rpion_fly.html

Alternatively a small wasp, something like this?
http://www.invasive.org/browse/detai...imgnum=0805062

A bite on my forearmhas just healed - there was first a small
red hole, like a very enlarged pore, which developed a raised
doghnut-with-a-hole appearance. The skin around this blistered
and the area became inflamed. A hardened lump 1" across could
be felt under my skin. This took nearly a fortnight to heal.
It was very itchy! What abstrad could have been responsible?

That's what happens to me when I get bitten by a horsefly.

--
Tim C.

Old 30-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Chris Bacon

Tim Challenger wrote:
[...]

No, it wasn't this shape, and didn't have bright colour - it
was grey/dark grey. It vaguely resempled a rigid thickened
mosquito, but it's sections were very defined.

Alternatively a small wasp, something like this?
http://www.invasive.org/browse/detai...imgnum=0805062

No, nothing like that. The abdomen was slightly bristly-looking
IIRC.

A bite on my forearmhas just healed - there was first a small
red hole, like a very enlarged pore, which developed a raised
doghnut-with-a-hole appearance. The skin around this blistered
and the area became inflamed. A hardened lump 1" across could
be felt under my skin. This took nearly a fortnight to heal.
It was very itchy! What abstrad could have been responsible?

That's what happens to me when I get bitten by a horsefly.

Ossd, absolute *ossd*.
Old 30-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:59:38 +0100, Chris Bacon wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote:
[...]

Does it resemble anything here, even in the slightest?
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Flies2.html

Is a robber fly a possibility?
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/benefi.../robber_03.htm

--
Tim C.

Biting insects! Plantaganet United Kingdom 14 09-09-2006 10:32 AM
What's biting us? nomy United Kingdom 7 21-05-2006 03:59 PM
Biting the Bullet on Pesticides...Opinions, Please Diana Kulaga Orchids 15 23-07-2003 07:02 AM
Crazy flies buzzing & biting dstvns Gardening 7 20-07-2003 08:42 PM
Nail-biting time animaux Texas 4 05-04-2003 12:09 PM