Old 29-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Broadback

Default Heedge Trimming & EEC regulation

I was told earlier today that there is yet another EEC law regulating
when hedges can/cannot be cut. Anyone any information on this please?
TIA
--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.
Old 29-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Mike Lyle

Broadback wrote:
I was told earlier today that there is yet another EEC law

regulating
when hedges can/cannot be cut. Anyone any information on this

please?
TIA

If you're thinking of what's at:
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

then, yes, it's true, and I reckon it falls neatly under the
provisions of your own rule
Hedge cutting/ coppicing or laying is not permitted between 1 March
and 31 August. Derogations for hedge cutting dates will be granted
where health and safety is an issue such asfor roadside and lane
hedges.(i)Dry stone walls, earth banksand hedges, and hedgerow
treescan be removed only with priorwritten agreement from therelevant
authority.Hedges are defined as hedgerows, hedge banks, rowsof trees
and hedgerow trees.(iii) Welsh Assembly advice is that where hedges
are cut, these should be on rotation, every 2-3years.
-----------
Page 6
GAEC MEASURES FOR EACH EC ISSUE AS LISTED IN ANNEX IV (Article 5 of
Council Reg 1782/2003)EC ISSUEEC STANDARDSGAECMEASUREGAEC MEASURE
REQUIREMENTSGAEC GUIDELINES/ADVICEMinimum levelof maintenanceEnsure
aminimum level ofmaintenance andavoid thedeterioration ofhabitats-
Protection ofpermanent pasture-Retention oflandscape features-Avoid
deteriorationof habitats7. Retention ofPermanentPasture, Semi-natural
Habitats,andArchaeologicalFeatures(i) Do not plough, undertake new
drainageworks, drain or re-seed or cultivatepermanent pasture except
where this ispart of the normal rotational managementof the land or
where it is environmentallybeneficial and complies with
theEnvironmental Impact Assessment(Uncultivated Land and
Semi-naturalAreas)(Wales) Regulations 2002.(ii) Retain, protect and
not wilfully damagelandscape features. eg uncultivated
land,semi-natural areas such aswoodland/scrub; wetlands; species
richgrasslands, moorland, ponds, shelterbelts,trees protected under
the TreePreservation Order, and archaeologicalfeatures. Do not quarry
rock outcrops,except for small scale on-farm use,without planning
permission. In-filling;reclamation; extraction of peat, sands
orgravels is not permitted without necessarypermissions. The EIA
(Uncultivated Land& Semi-natural Areas)(Wales) Regulations2002 will
be enforced. Heather/grassburning codes to be adhered to.Burning not
allowed between 1Novemberand 31 March in lowlands and 1October to15
April in uplands.(i) Permanent pasture is defined in (EC)No
1782/2003, Article 3 as landdeclared on the Area Aid Application
in2003, as permanent grass over 5 years.Land which has been ploughed
andreseeded within the same year is definedas permanent
pasture.Afforestation of permanent pasture thatis compatible with the
environment isexempt from the requirement to retainpermanent
pasture.(ii) Farmers must not undertake newdrainage works, ploughing,
clearing,levelling, re-seeding or cultivating onuncultivated land or
semi-natural areasunless approved under the EIARegulations.
Uncultivated land is landwith less than 25 - 30% ryegrass, and/or
white clover or other sown grassspecies.
-----------
Page 7
[...]

Cutting or laying agricultural hedges between 1 March and 31 August
would generally be a pretty destructive thing to do. Local conditions
might suggest other dates, and on the whole I'd play safe with doing
it only from November to mid-February; but it's good farming
practice. Since the rule applies only to farmers in receipt of
subsidy, i.e., who have their hands in your pockets and mine, it
seems an entirely reasonable condition.

--
Mike.

Old 29-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Mike Lyle wrote:

[...]
I'm awfully sorry: I tried to cut and paste a snippet, but my reply
window remained staunchly blank, so I thought it hadn't worked. I
must get into the TinyURL habit too: sorry about that as well. Try
again...

If you're thinking of what's at:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

then, yes, it's true, and I reckon it falls neatly under the
provisions of your own rule

[...interminable inadvertent quotation snipped...]

Old 29-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REMO
VETHISyahoo.co.uk writes
Broadback wrote:
I was told earlier today that there is yet another EEC law

regulating
when hedges can/cannot be cut. Anyone any information on this

please?
TIA

If you're thinking of what's at:
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...ales. gov.uk/
e/fileupload_getfile.asp%3FfilePathPrefix%3D2358%26f ileLanguage%3De.pdf+EC+hedg
+cutting&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

then, yes, it's true,

And as Mike says, the url is about the Good Agricultural and
Environmental Condition guidelines, which are in required for farmers to
be eligible for the Single Farm Payment.

Is there any suggestion that this is of wider relevance?

There is however our very own Countryside and Wildlife Act, which says
IIRC that you must not disturb nesting birds, which will restrict hedge
cutting activities.

--
Kay

Old 30-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay contains these words:

There is however our very own Countryside and Wildlife Act, which says
IIRC that you must not disturb nesting birds, which will restrict hedge
cutting activities.

Indeed - there's a blackbird holding-up operations on my whisper bit
of leylandii /whisper

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 30-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Broadback

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:

There is however our very own Countryside and Wildlife Act, which says
IIRC that you must not disturb nesting birds, which will restrict hedge
cutting activities.

Indeed - there's a blackbird holding-up operations on my whisper bit
of leylandii /whisper

While we are on the subject, what is the earliest that one should cut
hedges, from the wildlife point of view?

Old 30-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

While we are on the subject, what is the earliest that one should cut
hedges, from the wildlife point of view?

I cut my front hedge in March and didn't disturb anything. Some birds
nest most of the year - I've found pigeons and doves nedting in
December, so it's a matter of looking carefully first.

Most birds won't object too much if you give your hedge a quick trim. I
cut mine back a foot...

Old 01-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Robert

In message , Broadback
writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from Kay contains these words:

There is however our very own Countryside and Wildlife Act, which
says
IIRC that you must not disturb nesting birds, which will restrict hedge
cutting activities.

Indeed - there's a blackbird holding-up operations on my whisper
bit
of leylandii /whisper

While we are on the subject, what is the earliest that one should cut
hedges, from the wildlife point of view?

The recommendation for hedgerow management under Environmental
Stewardship, the new agri-environment scheme for farmers and land
managers, says that hedgerows should not be cut during the period 1
March to 31 July to protect nesting birds. It also indicates that a
hedge should be cut no more than once every two calendar years.
--
Robert