Old 30-06-2005, 11:58 AM
John Fryatt

Default Plant advice please.

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on a plant that will do well in a tub, standing in
front of a North-ish facing wall?
I planted fuschias last year, which seemed to do ok, if not great, but
now I'm thinking something a little taller, evergreen and semi-permanent.
The tub is next to my front door, near a corner of the house. The front
faces NNW. This spot will only get any sun in late afternoons, although
it's open to the sky so it's quite bright.

I was thinking Euonymus Fotunei 'Green/gold' but some sources say
partial shade and some say full sun. What do you think?

Any other choices? I'd prefer not to have a conifer.

Thanks, John
Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Ornata

Euonymus fortunei cultivars are generally happy in shade - I have
plenty of different, even heavily variegated ones (such as 'Blondy',
'Silver Queen' and 'Harlequin') in quite deep shade by a house wall and
under tall shrubs. However, in too much shade most yellow variegation
will turn light green. If it's getting afternoon sun, that might be
enough to retain the yellow coloration. I've a feeling 'Emerald 'n'
Gold' will only get to about 3 feet tall, though, unless given the
support of a wall or fence to climb (I could be wrong). I've seen
taller, established examples of other Euonymus fortunei cultivars in
people's gardens, though.

If you can keep the compost lime-free, how about a Pieris (there are
dwarf varieties) or a Camellia? My camellia flowers very well in a
position with no direct sunlight, so it should certainly do well with
just some sun in the afternoon. Or for big, dramatic foliage, Fatsia
japonica?

Old 01-07-2005, 11:01 AM
John Fryatt

Ornata wrote:
[...]

Excellent, thanks Ornata.

I'll check on Pieris and Camellia, but a Fatsia would be too big and
spreading. Euonymus seemed ideal for the spot so I might give that a go,
esp. as I have two small plants that I grew from cuttings.

Just looked 'em up on the RHS site... Pieris, it says, needs S, W, E
aspect, whereas Euonmymus and Camellia are ok with any aspect.
I like Camellia for the flowers but I might go ith Euonymus because it's
attractive all year.
Actually I might get a Camellia for somewhere else. ;-)

Thanks again, John