Old 30-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Phil L

Default greyflies

I've seen whitefly and greenfly many times but all my sprouts are now
infested with grey ones, they live on the underside of leaves and their give
away is a yellow patch on the face of the leaf, sometimes they cover about 3
inches in each 'camp', I've just been squashing them with my thumb but now
they seem to have gone berserk and are even down in the growing
tip....coupled with a large caterpillar problem, the sprouts certainly seem
to be struggling...any ideas?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 30-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Neil Tonks

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
I've seen whitefly and greenfly many times but all my sprouts are now
infested with grey ones, they live on the underside of leaves and their
give
away is a yellow patch on the face of the leaf, sometimes they cover about
3
inches in each 'camp', I've just been squashing them with my thumb but now
they seem to have gone berserk and are even down in the growing
tip....coupled with a large caterpillar problem, the sprouts certainly
seem
to be struggling...any ideas?

Grey aphids are a real pain when they get onto brassicas such as sprouts.
The only control I know which works is a very non-organic spray of a general
insecticide.

Neil.

Old 30-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Phil L

Neil Tonks wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: . uk...
::: I've seen whitefly and greenfly many times but all my sprouts are
::: now infested with grey ones, they live on the underside of leaves
::: and their give
::: away is a yellow patch on the face of the leaf, sometimes they
::: cover about 3
::: inches in each 'camp', I've just been squashing them with my
::: thumb but now they seem to have gone berserk and are even down in
::: the growing tip....coupled with a large caterpillar problem, the
::: sprouts certainly seem
::: to be struggling...any ideas?
:::
::
:: Grey aphids are a real pain when they get onto brassicas such as
:: sprouts. The only control I know which works is a very non-organic
:: spray of a general insecticide.
::

I'm not bothered too much about organics, I just want to kill the
buggers...I figure most of whatever I put on will have gone by the time I
come to eat my brussels on Christmas day! - what do you suggest for killing
'em?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 30-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Duncan

"Neil Tonks" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I've had reddish-brown aphids this year as well. wierd.

Duncan

Old 01-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Martin Brown

Phil L wrote:

Neil Tonks wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: . uk...
::: I've seen whitefly and greenfly many times but all my sprouts are
::: now infested with grey ones, they live on the underside of leaves
::: and their give
::: away is a yellow patch on the face of the leaf,
::: to be struggling...any ideas?
::
:: Grey aphids are a real pain when they get onto brassicas such as
:: sprouts. The only control I know which works is a very non-organic
:: spray of a general insecticide.

I'm not bothered too much about organics, I just want to kill the
buggers...I figure most of whatever I put on will have gone by the time I
come to eat my brussels on Christmas day! - what do you suggest for killing
'em?

Any knock insecticide down will get them. A synthetic pyrethrum is
probably as good as any or good old fashioned indescriminate malathion
(or natural rotenone poison if you want to wind up the Organic(TM)
lobby). Aphids die pretty easily - even soft soap would see them off if
you hit them often enough.

Regards,
Martin Brown