Old 01-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Peter Hemmings

Default Orchid Advice

Hi,

I have a white orchid (mauve centre) with wide leaves and roots growing
in and out of the pot. From the pictures in Feb05 Garden Monthly, it
seems to be a Cymbidium.
It has two flowering stalks which have now finished flowering.
There are some new leaves forming and I am continueing to feed once a week!
Do they flower on new stalks or should I remove the stalks and stop feeding?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Kay

In article , Peter Hemmings
writes
Hi,

I have a white orchid (mauve centre) with wide leaves and roots growing
in and out of the pot. From the pictures in Feb05 Garden Monthly, it
seems to be a Cymbidium.
It has two flowering stalks which have now finished flowering.
There are some new leaves forming and I am continueing to feed once a week!
Do they flower on new stalks or should I remove the stalks and stop feeding?

If it's not a Cymbidium but a Phalaenopsis, the old stalk may throw up a
new branch with new flowers, quite some considerable time later (and the
roots growing out of the pot sound Phalaenopsis-y)

I would leave the flower stem if it is green (it won't do any harm) and
only cut it back when it has died.
--
Kay

Old 01-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Peter Hemmings

Kay wrote:
In article , Peter Hemmings
writes

Hi,

I have a white orchid (mauve centre) with wide leaves and roots growing
in and out of the pot. From the pictures in Feb05 Garden Monthly, it
seems to be a Cymbidium.
It has two flowering stalks which have now finished flowering.
There are some new leaves forming and I am continueing to feed once a week!
Do they flower on new stalks or should I remove the stalks and stop feeding?

If it's not a Cymbidium but a Phalaenopsis, the old stalk may throw up a
new branch with new flowers, quite some considerable time later (and the
roots growing out of the pot sound Phalaenopsis-y)

Yep you are right, I crossed referenced the pictures wrong!

I would leave the flower stem if it is green (it won't do any harm) and
only cut it back when it has died.

Thanks Kay, I also wondered if I should stop feeding it now or carry on
with a weak feed once aweek?

Thanks