GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weed Matting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96809-weed-matting.html)

Zoony 02-07-2005 05:11 PM

Weed Matting

I've just started using weed matting covered with bark chippings in my
borders and was wondering how this affects earthworms. They would not be
able to come to the surface. Would this discourage them from living in my
borders?

Broadback 02-07-2005 07:13 PM

Zoony wrote:
I've just started using weed matting covered with bark chippings in my
borders and was wondering how this affects earthworms. They would not be
able to come to the surface. Would this discourage them from living in my
borders?

I have just removed weed matting with wood chippings over, to re-profile
the border and replace the wood chippings with gravel. I did not notice
any worms under the matting, but loads above among the wood chips. I
knew there would be as the blackbirds spend hours throwing the wood
chips around to get at their food! Gets all over the lawn and drive
unfortunately!

--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.