GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   violet weed in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96836-violet-weed-lawn.html)

clivedown 03-07-2005 06:16 PM

violet weed in lawn

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Kay 04-07-2005 09:56 PM

In article , clivedown clivedown.1
writes

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Possibly veronica. Try a google image search to confirm.

I know things can be invasive, but it always seems a shame to me to
eradicate something that is pretty.
--
Kay

Alan Holmes 04-07-2005 10:34 PM

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , clivedown clivedown.1
writes

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Try Verdone, works well on weeds in grass, I don't have much faith in lawn
weed and feed.

Jaques d'Alltrades 04-07-2005 10:47 PM

The message
from Kay contains these words:

Possibly veronica. Try a google image search to confirm.

I know things can be invasive, but it always seems a shame to me to
eradicate something that is pretty.

I knowhay you mean - the Veronica I was at school with was a stunner...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

datsy 04-07-2005 11:41 PM

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Possibly veronica. Try a google image search to confirm.

I know things can be invasive, but it always seems a shame to me to
eradicate something that is pretty.
--

Another possibility is heartsease - see link below to image. I had this in
my last house, not in the lawn as I didn't have one, but it kept popping up

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN

clivedown 05-07-2005 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datsy

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

Possibly veronica. Try a google image search to confirm.

I know things can be invasive, but it always seems a shame to me to
eradicate something that is pretty.
--

Another possibility is heartsease - see link below to image. I had this in
my last house, not in the lawn as I didn't have one, but it kept popping up
all over the garden and in the gravel. Absolutely gorgeous littel plant.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN

Thanks very much for the replies, but I'm afraid the plant is definitely not one of those suggested. It's called Wild Violet and can be seen he

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/wild_violet_17/

I will certainly try verdone though.

Nick Maclaren 05-07-2005 09:15 AM

In article ,
clivedown writes:

| Another possibility is heartsease - see link below to image. I had this
| in
| my last house, not in the lawn as I didn't have one, but it kept
| popping up
| all over the garden and in the gravel. Absolutely gorgeous littel
| plant.
|
| Thanks very much for the replies, but I'm afraid the plant is
| definitely not one of those suggested. It's called Wild Violet and can
| be seen he

Er, heartsease IS a wild violet - which is a generic name, and
not that of a particular species. There are half a dozen species
of Viola commonly found wild in the UK and more exist.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Pam Moore 05-07-2005 09:59 AM

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:16:33 +0000, clivedown
wrote:

My lawn has been infested with a weed which looks very much like a
miniature violet plant. When it flowers it has pretty violet coloured
flowers and left to its own devices it spreads to the rest of the
garden and pots. It appears impervious to lawn feed and weed and I
wonder if anyone knows how to eradicate it? Thanks for any
suggestions.

I had the same thing happen in my front garden. It was not the real
wild violet but some form of viola odorata, that seeded itself into my
neighbour's lawn and also into the grass verge also. I have no lawn
but my neighbour has now paved the whole of her front and back
gardens! (not because of my violets!)
They have disappeared from the verge also.
I thought they were pretty, and if it had been my lawn I would not
have tried to eradicate them.

Pam in Bristol

Nick Maclaren 05-07-2005 10:04 AM

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| I had the same thing happen in my front garden. It was not the real
| wild violet but some form of viola odorata, that seeded itself into my
| neighbour's lawn and also into the grass verge also. I have no lawn
| but my neighbour has now paved the whole of her front and back
| gardens! (not because of my violets!)
| They have disappeared from the verge also.
| I thought they were pretty, and if it had been my lawn I would not
| have tried to eradicate them.

Are you sure that it wasn't the wild Viola odorata? It's not rare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 05-07-2005 10:05 AM

The message

Er, heartsease IS a wild violet - which is a generic name, and
not that of a particular species. There are half a dozen species
of Viola commonly found wild in the UK and more exist.

I know of fifteen, and that doesn't include hybrids or subspecies...

pammyT 05-07-2005 12:30 PM

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
if it had been my lawn I would not
have tried to eradicate them.

Me neither

Pam Moore 05-07-2005 01:13 PM

On 5 Jul 2005 09:04:15 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Are you sure that it wasn't the wild Viola odorata? It's not rare.

It was NOT the wild woodland violet, but had bigger leaves, and was
given to me as a scented one, which it was not, to my disappointment.
Not sure which, but it looked nice in the lawn!

Pam in Bristol

clivedown 05-07-2005 05:34 PM

So do we still think that Verdone will eradicate this weed (even though it looks pretty) from my lawn?

Victoria Clare 06-07-2005 12:31 PM

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in
k:

The message

Er, heartsease IS a wild violet - which is a generic name, and
not that of a particular species. There are half a dozen species
of Viola commonly found wild in the UK and more exist.

I know of fifteen, and that doesn't include hybrids or subspecies...

I suspect anyone soulless enough to apply verdone to a colony of heartsease
in flower is not going to be that interested in the botanical detail :-(

Victoria

Kay 06-07-2005 05:45 PM

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in
. uk:

The message

Er, heartsease IS a wild violet - which is a generic name, and
not that of a particular species. There are half a dozen species
of Viola commonly found wild in the UK and more exist.

I know of fifteen, and that doesn't include hybrids or subspecies...

I suspect anyone soulless enough to apply verdone to a colony of heartsease
in flower is not going to be that interested in the botanical detail :-(

I don't know. Even I have pulled up violets by the armful. Depends on
just how many you have, doesn't it?
--
Kay