GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Slug identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96855-slug-identification.html)

Crag 03-07-2005 07:44 PM

Slug identification

Evening,

Just come in from doing the slug patrol in the garden.

I've noticed that the (what I consider to be) traditional slug (fat & brown
or black and a few inches long) are relatively few in numbers, whereas
small (about 1 inch long) creamy/white ones are in abundance.

Some of these are naturally on my plants but most (I must have chopped at
least 30 tonight) are in my lawn.

Are these just baby slugs or something different. Why have they taken a
fancy to my lawn. Incidentally, the lawn has recently become patchy in
places. Is this a coincidence or a new lawn slug? Or am I talking out or my
a**e?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Crag

Miss Perspicacia Tick 03-07-2005 09:01 PM

Crag wrote:
Evening,

Just come in from doing the slug patrol in the garden.

I've noticed that the (what I consider to be) traditional slug (fat &
brown or black and a few inches long) are relatively few in numbers,
whereas small (about 1 inch long) creamy/white ones are in abundance.

Some of these are naturally on my plants but most (I must have
chopped at least 30 tonight) are in my lawn.

Are these just baby slugs or something different. Why have they taken
a fancy to my lawn. Incidentally, the lawn has recently become patchy
in places. Is this a coincidence or a new lawn slug? Or am I talking
out or my a**e?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Crag

Google is your friend... ;o)

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th11a(4).htm

Rod Craddock 03-07-2005 09:12 PM

"Crag" gansburg-dot-01-at-zen-dot-co-dot-uk wrote in message
Evening,

Just come in from doing the slug patrol in the garden.

I've noticed that the (what I consider to be) traditional slug (fat &
brown
or black and a few inches long) are relatively few in numbers, whereas
small (about 1 inch long) creamy/white ones are in abundance.

Some of these are naturally on my plants but most (I must have chopped at
least 30 tonight) are in my lawn.

Are these just baby slugs or something different. Why have they taken a
fancy to my lawn. Incidentally, the lawn has recently become patchy in
places. Is this a coincidence or a new lawn slug? Or am I talking out or
my
a**e?

Those smaller creamy ones are yer common garden slugs - the most damaging of
the lot. The big black ones look serious but are not responsible for nearly
as much damage. None of the slugs are to blame for the state of your lawn.
Many possible causes for that but unless the lawn has been well prepared and
maintained, it's just normal summer tatty lawn syndrome.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp - just remove the weedy
bits and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

datsy 03-07-2005 09:55 PM

On the subject of slugs, Bill Oddie in Springwatch said "If they are big and
black, put them back", i.e. that they do good in the garden, but I didn't
catch the reason why.

Miss Perspicacia Tick 04-07-2005 04:53 AM

datsy wrote:
On the subject of slugs, Bill Oddie in Springwatch said "If they are
big and black, put them back", i.e. that they do good in the garden,
but I didn't catch the reason why.

It wasn't so much that they did good, it was that they were benign. IOW, if
something's munching your prize hostas, they're not on the list of suspects.

[email protected] 04-07-2005 09:57 AM

Rod Craddock wrote:
just normal summer tatty lawn syndrome.

And as global warming proceeds, this becomes the dominant state...

pammyT 04-07-2005 03:10 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Rod Craddock wrote:
just normal summer tatty lawn syndrome.

And as global warming proceeds, this becomes the dominant state...

my neighbour moans about the poor state of her lawn yet she comes out and
scalps it whenever it has just started to green up and gets longer thasn an
inch.

Kay 04-07-2005 09:59 PM

In article , datsy
writes
On the subject of slugs, Bill Oddie in Springwatch said "If they are big and
black, put them back", i.e. that they do good in the garden, but I didn't
catch the reason why.

They'll clear up dead and decaying stuff. And all sorts of rubbish, even
dead slugs.
And if you ever find a slug which has a tiny vestigial shell towards one
end, it's carnivorous not vegetarian and will eat other slugs.

--
Kay