GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help with patio laying & a couple og Q's... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/96857-help-patio-laying-couple-og-qs.html)

glasgow guy 04-07-2005 12:37 AM

help with patio laying & a couple og Q's...

firstly I will say sorry for the fact that this isnt directly anything to do with plants but it is to do with my garden !!
I will be laying a new patio this week and I am just wondering what mix would be best to use as a base for it - should I use a dry mix of building sand & cement - level it out and lay the slabs/flag stones and let the damp air set it or should I use a normal wet mix ? - and whats the best mix to get a good wet mix (sand, cement, etc ),

I also have 2 grape vines currently coming away very nicely with fruits just starting to appear - all advice welcome by way of what to feed , prune etc,
and lastly I have spring onions & carrots growing fantasically in a pair of old wellies - when will they be ready to be pulled - they were sown way back in the year and I dont want to leave them there 2 long when they are ready.

all advice welcome

thanks

Tumbleweed 04-07-2005 09:48 AM

"glasgow guy" wrote in message

firstly I will say sorry for the fact that this isnt directly anything
to do with plants but it is to do with my garden !!
I will be laying a new patio this week and I am just wondering what mix
would be best to use as a base for it - should I use a dry mix of
building sand & cement - level it out and lay the slabs/flag stones and
let the damp air set it or should I use a normal wet mix ? - and whats
the best mix to get a good wet mix (sand, cement, etc ),

Search for cormaic in here ISTR he has a FAQ on laying patios.
FWIW I find dry mix *much* easier to work with. I recently did some work on
a line of bricks with wet mix and the bricks would gradually settle
haphazardly lower after you had got them level. Big mistake. With dry they
stay where you put them (mostly :-).

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

David 04-07-2005 11:35 AM

"glasgow guy" wrote in message

firstly I will say sorry for the fact that this isnt directly anything
to do with plants but it is to do with my garden !!
I will be laying a new patio this week and I am just wondering what mix
would be best to use as a base for it - should I use a dry mix of
building sand & cement - level it out and lay the slabs/flag stones and
let the damp air set it or should I use a normal wet mix ? - and whats
the best mix to get a good wet mix (sand, cement, etc ),

I've used this link for advice and find it great for all the info you will
need on your patio

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

good luck!

David

Kay 04-07-2005 10:13 PM

In article , David
writes

"glasgow guy" wrote in message

firstly I will say sorry for the fact that this isnt directly anything
to do with plants but it is to do with my garden !!
I will be laying a new patio this week and I am just wondering what mix
would be best to use as a base for it - should I use a dry mix of
building sand & cement - level it out and lay the slabs/flag stones and
let the damp air set it or should I use a normal wet mix ? - and whats
the best mix to get a good wet mix (sand, cement, etc ),

I've used this link for advice and find it great for all the info you will
need on your patio

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

Yes, that's Cormaic as recommended by another poster.

He used to be a regular on here.
--
Kay