Old 05-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Corncrake

Default Bamboo, life span of UK harvested,,?

Recently another urgler (sorry lost the post) commented upon using
local grown bamboo canes to support beans(i think?)

I also, for the first time, have used my own grown bamboo (all 18ft
high of'em !, they must like the cold and wet more than me !!) for my
runners and climbing french,
question := will they last the season (or more) ?
Should I have harvested them last year and dried them instead of using
them fresh ?

Old 05-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Corncrake wrote:
Recently another urgler (sorry lost the post) commented upon using
local grown bamboo canes to support beans(i think?)

I also, for the first time, have used my own grown bamboo (all 18ft
high of'em !, they must like the cold and wet more than me !!) for my
runners and climbing french,
question := will they last the season (or more) ?
Should I have harvested them last year and dried them instead of using
them fresh ?

It doesn't make much difference - they should last this year, and
perhaps next (the part that is in the soil will rot first and may
break off). The problem in the UK is too little heat and sun to
ripen the wood. But it is generally better to use wood with as
little sap in it as possible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Kay

In article , Corncrake
writes
Recently another urgler (sorry lost the post) commented upon using
local grown bamboo canes to support beans(i think?)

I also, for the first time, have used my own grown bamboo (all 18ft
high of'em !, they must like the cold and wet more than me !!) for my
runners and climbing french,
question := will they last the season (or more) ?
Should I have harvested them last year and dried them instead of using
them fresh ?

Mine seem to have hardened off very quickly. My guess is that you'll be
OK

--
Kay

Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
JW

Corncrake wrote:

Recently another urgler (sorry lost the post) commented upon using
local grown bamboo canes to support beans(i think?)

I also, for the first time, have used my own grown bamboo (all 18ft
high of'em !, they must like the cold and wet more than me !!) for my
runners and climbing french,
question := will they last the season (or more) ?
Should I have harvested them last year and dried them instead of using
them fresh ?

Possibly drying them might have been a good idea, but you'll find out if
they last.

Christopher Lloyd comments on Bamboo that he doesn't bother with UK
grown stock as it doesn't last. His test for 'sorting' bamboo is to try
& break it over the knee. If it breaks, it goes..

Still it sounds like yours should be more than adequate for a season of
beans

JimW

--
Plants etc on Ebay