Old 05-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Martin Brown

Default OT Bats new flyers

Anyone else with a bat roost in their house? It is the time of year when
the babies try to fly and a few get into silly places (rather nasty cold
and wet up in N Yorks too but I guess they can't choose the weather).

One today was lucky that I can still hear 16kHz after it got trapped on
the floor in a stairwell. They struggle if their flight muscles get cold
away from the roost, and gloss painted skirting boards prevent them
climbing up a wall to take off again so they quickly get distressed,
exhausted and cold on the ground. Distress call sounds a bit like an
intermittent smoke alarm low battery but at a much higher frequency.

The local bat group taught me how to handle them so that they don't have
to be called out for every one that gets itself into trouble now.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-07-2005, 11:00 PM
pammyT

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Anyone else with a bat roost in their house? It is the time of year when
the babies try to fly and a few get into silly places (rather nasty cold
and wet up in N Yorks too but I guess they can't choose the weather).

One today was lucky that I can still hear 16kHz after it got trapped on
the floor in a stairwell. They struggle if their flight muscles get cold
away from the roost, and gloss painted skirting boards prevent them
climbing up a wall to take off again so they quickly get distressed,
exhausted and cold on the ground. Distress call sounds a bit like an
intermittent smoke alarm low battery but at a much higher frequency.

The local bat group taught me how to handle them so that they don't have
to be called out for every one that gets itself into trouble now.

Regards,
Martin Brown

oh you lucky thing. I would love to have bats in my attic (though some say
I have them in my belfry) :-)

Old 05-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Paul Giverin

In message , Martin Brown
writes
Anyone else with a bat roost in their house?

Not as such but we did have a bat in our bedroom about to weeks ago. My
wife gave me a dig in the ribs to awake me at about 2am. She was saying
that there was something in the bedroom. I obediently got up and
switched my bedside light on and started looking around the bedroom
floor.

Somehow in my sleepy state I thought it was the hamster which had
escaped again, even though the hamster actually died about a year ago.
By this time the wife is screaming "its a bat". It still didn't really
sink in until I felt something whoosh past my head. Sure enough it was a
bat.

I opened the windows to their widest extent, went back to bed and
watched as this poor creature whizzed around the room like it was on a
piece of string. After 2 or 3 minutes it eventually found its way out
again.

We do see them in the garden at night and we have been thinking of
putting up a bat box.

--
Paul Giverin

Old 05-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Kay

In article , Martin Brown |||newspam
writes
Anyone else with a bat roost in their house? It is the time of year when
the babies try to fly and a few get into silly places (rather nasty cold
and wet up in N Yorks too but I guess they can't choose the weather).

One today was lucky that I can still hear 16kHz after it got trapped on
the floor in a stairwell. They struggle if their flight muscles get cold
away from the roost, and gloss painted skirting boards prevent them
climbing up a wall to take off again so they quickly get distressed,
exhausted and cold on the ground. Distress call sounds a bit like an
intermittent smoke alarm low battery but at a much higher frequency.

The local bat group taught me how to handle them so that they don't have
to be called out for every one that gets itself into trouble now.

you can buy a 'bat box' which translates their calls to a lower
frequency audible to normal humans. Useful for recognising different
species. And also a lot easier to spot them flying if you can hear their
approach on the bat box. Nice bit of kit.

Canoeing at night on the canal with low flying Daubenton's bats is good
fun.
--
Kay

Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:56:49 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

Anyone else with a bat roost in their house? It is the time of year when
the babies try to fly and a few get into silly places (rather nasty cold
and wet up in N Yorks too but I guess they can't choose the weather).

One today was lucky that I can still hear 16kHz after it got trapped on
the floor in a stairwell. They struggle if their flight muscles get cold
away from the roost, and gloss painted skirting boards prevent them
climbing up a wall to take off again so they quickly get distressed,
exhausted and cold on the ground. Distress call sounds a bit like an
intermittent smoke alarm low battery but at a much higher frequency.

The local bat group taught me how to handle them so that they don't have
to be called out for every one that gets itself into trouble now.

I haven't seen any orphans as yet from our loft roost - but then again
the odds aren't in their favour round here, what with any number of
predators looking for an easy meal.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
pammyT

"Paul Giverin" wrote in message

Somehow in my sleepy state I thought it was the hamster which had
escaped again, even though the hamster actually died about a year ago.

ROFL!

We do see them in the garden at night and we have been thinking of
putting up a bat box.

Oh do. With suitable roosting places disappearing, they need all the help
they can get.
You can buy them on ebay cheaply enough.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/bat-box_Gar...tZ2032QQsojsZ1