Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Any idea what this is?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can identify this plant and tell me what it is please?

http://www.samdaykin.co.uk/public/photos/flower.jpg

I had grown it from bulb quite successfully and was really proud of how well it was coming along considering my gardening knowledge and skills are minimal.

Unfortunately, I am not the only person who found this plant to be very interesting as one night this week someone stole the plant and the pot it was in. I would like to grow another but I have no idea what it was as my choice of flowers is often quite random and I can't find the packet.

Also, not only did some thieving git steal all that but one of my better rose bushes was pruned at the very base and the whole bush was taken at the same time.

So, does anyone know what the flower is?
And can anyone tell me if my rose bush will regrow after being pruned back to just a couple of inches of stalk with no leaves?

Thank you in advance!

Sam
Old 09-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered User

Hi Sam
I think it's Lilium 'Sun Ray'. It's definately a Lily anyway.
Why do people do this! Why can't they just go and buy their own plants and pots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_d

Old 09-07-2005, 07:32 PM
Registered User

Thanks!

I've Googles "Lilium 'Sun Ray'" and it brings up a few better pictures than mine and they look like what I did have once...

I don't understand what the point of stealing my plants was. They're not particulary rare or exotic (I've only been buying 'cheap' plants and pots in case they were nicked) it's just sad that people are too lazy to bother growing their own. Had someone wanted a cutting of my rose I'd have let them take one but stealing the whole thing has really annoyed me - okay, it only cost a fiver but it had grown very nicely.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the rose bush grows back then I've heard they are quite tough but when I saw just two inches of stalk and no leaves were left I didn't know if it would be tough enough to survive that.

Anyway, thanks again!

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardy Perennial
Old 30-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Registered User

Location: suffolk
Lightbulb

[...]

looks like a passion flower of the yellow rather than purple variety, nad yes your rose should be o.k. to prune a rose give your seceteurs to your worst enemy and leave them to it. the rose should survive

Old 01-08-2005, 04:49 AM
nambucca

http://tinyurl.com/ccz9p

--
diggeress

Looks pretty much like a Lily to me
Cant tell you the name but its a fairly common variety

Old 01-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Kay

In article , nambucca
writes
So, does anyone know what the flower is?
And can anyone tell me if my rose bush will regrow after being pruned
back to just a couple of inches of stalk with no leaves?

Yes. They have a strong will to live

Only problem is that most rose trees are grafted. If the cut is very
low, then you may only have the rootstock left, and what will grow back
is some species of wild rose (what you would normally recognise as a
sucker). If the cut is a bit higher, so you still have the bottom inch
or so of a number of stems, you are likely to get regrowth of the rose
itself.
--
Kay