GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   potentilla Arc en Ciel (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/97109-potentilla-arc-en-ciel.html)

Janet Baraclough 08-07-2005 05:24 PM

potentilla Arc en Ciel

This is a hardy perennial, with soft stems and gorgeous big scarlet
and gold double flowers, so I'm not expecting it to set seed. Does
anyone have any experience of propagating it another way?

Janet

Cicero 09-07-2005 09:30 PM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

This is a hardy perennial, with soft stems and gorgeous big scarlet
and gold double flowers, so I'm not expecting it to set seed. Does
anyone have any experience of propagating it another way?

Janet

====================
No personal experience but my ancient guide (1976) to simple propagation
gives the following advice...

"Seeds sown in February in cold frame or greenhouse.

With shrubby kinds choose half-ripe cuttings of the current year's growth in
late Summer, and insert in cold frame, or under a propagator or glass jar,
or under mist.

Alpine and perennial kinds by division in March and April."

Plenty of alternatives to consider if the seeds don't show up.

Cic.

Janet Baraclough 09-07-2005 10:57 PM

The message
from "Cicero" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

This is a hardy perennial, with soft stems and gorgeous big scarlet
and gold double flowers, so I'm not expecting it to set seed. Does
anyone have any experience of propagating it another way?

Janet

====================
No personal experience but my ancient guide (1976) to simple propagation
gives the following advice...

"Seeds sown in February in cold frame or greenhouse.

With shrubby kinds choose half-ripe cuttings of the current year's growth in
late Summer, and insert in cold frame, or under a propagator or glass jar,
or under mist.

Alpine and perennial kinds by division in March and April."

Plenty of alternatives to consider if the seeds don't show up.

Thanks..it's not the shrubby sort, but a soft-stem perennial, so
it'll be division in Spring then. Also as it looks fairly
strawberry-like I might try layering some of the longer stems.

Janet.