Old 07-03-2003, 01:58 PM
shazzbat

Default garlic chives

I recently found a packet of seeds called garlic chives, or "lazy garlic"
claiming to be a chive-like plant with a garlic flavour/aroma. Anyone tried
it? And was it any good?

TIA

Shazzbat

Old 07-03-2003, 07:08 PM
Alan Gould

In article , shazzbat shazzbat@spamle
ss.fsnet.co.uk writes
I recently found a packet of seeds called garlic chives, or "lazy garlic"
claiming to be a chive-like plant with a garlic flavour/aroma. Anyone tried
it? And was it any good?

Yes, frequently, and yes, very good. They grow just as claimed - into
garlic flavoured chives. Their botanical name is Allium tuberosum and
they are also known as Chinese Chives, Cuchay, Nira and Jiu cai.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:23 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:49:39 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

I recently found a packet of seeds called garlic chives, or "lazy garlic"
claiming to be a chive-like plant with a garlic flavour/aroma. Anyone tried
it? And was it any good?

There are actually two distinct species called "garlic chives":
Allium tuberosum and (iirc) Allium racemosum. One has white
flowers and the other mauve flowers, but I can't tell you which
species is which color.

Garlic chives (usually white-flowered) are a common item in
Chinese produce markets here. Try putting them in a stir-fry.

Easy to grow, too.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 09-03-2003, 12:48 AM
shazzbat

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I recently found a packet of seeds called garlic chives, or "lazy

garlic"
claiming to be a chive-like plant with a garlic flavour/aroma. Anyone

tried
it? And was it any good?

There are actually two distinct species called "garlic chives":
Allium tuberosum and (iirc) Allium racemosum. One has white
flowers and the other mauve flowers, but I can't tell you which
species is which color.

Garlic chives (usually white-flowered) are a common item in
Chinese produce markets here. Try putting them in a stir-fry.

Thanks everyone. Easy to grow and stir-fryable sounds like right up my
street. Sowing tomorrow.

Thanks again

Shazzbat

Old 09-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Brian Watson

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I recently found a packet of seeds called garlic chives, or "lazy

garlic"
claiming to be a chive-like plant with a garlic flavour/aroma. Anyone

tried
it? And was it any good?

There are actually two distinct species called "garlic chives":
Allium tuberosum and (iirc) Allium racemosum. One has white
flowers and the other mauve flowers, but I can't tell you which
species is which color.

Garlic chives (usually white-flowered) are a common item in
Chinese produce markets here. Try putting them in a stir-fry.

Thanks everyone. Easy to grow and stir-fryable sounds like right up my
street. Sowing tomorrow.

OK, so "good for cooking", but any idea if one is better than the other for
slugbait (which is where we came in)?
--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 09-03-2003, 09:32 AM
David Rance

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, shazzbat wrote:

I recently found a packet of seeds called garlic chives, or "lazy garlic"
claiming to be a chive-like plant with a garlic flavour/aroma. Anyone tried
it? And was it any good?

I've had a clump in the garden for some years. I often put them into an
omelette instead of ordinary chives. Gives more of a flavour.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS: ICHTHUS (Reading) +44-118-946-1466 | Reading, UK |

Old 09-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Brian Watson
writes

"shazzbat" wrote in message

OK, so "good for cooking", but any idea if one is better than the other for
slugbait (which is where we came in)?
--

I've never had a problem with slugs on chives (nor on Allium moly)
though now I come to think of it, I did have a problem with tree onions.

My guess would be that garlic chives would be strong enough tasting to
be OK.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 09-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Brian Watson

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news
In article , Brian Watson
writes

"shazzbat" wrote in message

OK, so "good for cooking", but any idea if one is better than the other

for
slugbait (which is where we came in)?
--

I've never had a problem with slugs on chives (nor on Allium moly)
though now I come to think of it, I did have a problem with tree onions.

My guess would be that garlic chives would be strong enough tasting to
be OK.

But where we went with this was that they were found to be so attractive to
slugs that the little darlings would throw themselves on slug pellets to get
at them.

See Mike Gilmore's posting. It was only yesterday...

--
Brian
"posting from Sutton, Winner of the English and Welsh Village of the Year

Old 09-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:25:21 -0000, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

...slugs...the little darlings...

You win some kind of prize for molluscoidal sarcasm.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

What is it?: - Garlic-Chives.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 3 15-02-2009 05:53 PM
What is it?: - Garlic-Chives-Early-1.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 15-02-2009 12:01 PM
Garlic Chives Flower Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 13-09-2007 05:25 AM
chives/garlic question? jamie Texas 2 20-04-2004 04:07 AM
garlic chives - an excellent slug trap Mike Gilmore United Kingdom 0 08-03-2003 07:45 AM