GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deadheading know how . . . (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/97138-deadheading-know-how.html)

KellyD 09-07-2005 03:04 PM

Deadheading know how . . .

I am always confused when told to deadhead various flowers, never certain exactly what part/s are supposed to be taken off etc.

My current question is regarding both upright and trailing geraniums and verbena. When the parts ( you see I'm so technical ) of the verbena that were flowering sort of 'dry up' should I take them off? I haven't been and some of them are starting to look a bit yellowish.

With the geraniums, do you just pull off the flowers or do you 'snip' directly behind where all the flowers were?

Sorry if this seems a tad simplistic, but I'm a newbie to gardening. Possibly a tad simplistic, too. lol

Emrys Davies 09-07-2005 05:09 PM

--
KellyD

This very good site explains and shows you exactly what to do.

http://www.ehow.com/how_9293_deadhead-flowers.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Emrys Davies 09-07-2005 05:44 PM

"KellyD" wrote in message

I am always confused when told to deadhead various flowers, never
certain exactly what part/s are supposed to be taken off etc.

My current question is regarding both upright and trailing geraniums
and verbena. When the parts ( you see I'm so technical ) of the
verbena that were flowering sort of 'dry up' should I take them off?

haven't been and some of them are starting to look a bit yellowish.

With the geraniums, do you just pull off the flowers or do you 'snip'
directly behind where all the flowers were?

Sorry if this seems a tad simplistic, but I'm a newbie to gardening.
Possibly a tad simplistic, too. lol

--
KellyD

Another site which you might find helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/csmb3

Regards,
Emrys Davies

KellyD 11-07-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emrys Davies
Another site which you might find helpful.

http://tinyurl.com/csmb3

Regards,
Emrys Davies

Thanks, the first site was most helpful!