GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advise on new evergreen border (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/97144-advise-new-evergreen-border.html)

Dave 09-07-2005 11:37 AM

Advise on new evergreen border

Hi

I have just moved into a new house, the rear garden is just topsoil.

I have been "growing on" plants in pots ready for my new garden, I
have 12 Euonymus mixed shades, and 12 Box. I am just about to plant
these in a border along a fence facing NNW ( seaside location).

My question is how should I plant them for best effect, can I mix them
E/B/E/B or 12E/12B or whatever. Also what planting distances should I
use.

TIA

Busy gardener.

Janet Baraclough 09-07-2005 02:11 PM

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Hi

I have just moved into a new house, the rear garden is just topsoil.

I have been "growing on" plants in pots ready for my new garden, I
have 12 Euonymus mixed shades, and 12 Box. I am just about to plant
these in a border along a fence facing NNW ( seaside location).

My question is how should I plant them for best effect, can I mix them
E/B/E/B or 12E/12B or whatever. Also what planting distances should I
use.

.. You haven't said what effect you're intending to create. Is it
low-maintenance low cover, a boundary hedge or what?

Janet

Dave 09-07-2005 08:02 PM

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:11:44 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Hi

I have just moved into a new house, the rear garden is just topsoil.

I have been "growing on" plants in pots ready for my new garden, I
have 12 Euonymus mixed shades, and 12 Box. I am just about to plant
these in a border along a fence facing NNW ( seaside location).

My question is how should I plant them for best effect, can I mix them
E/B/E/B or 12E/12B or whatever. Also what planting distances should I
use.

. You haven't said what effect you're intending to create. Is it
low-maintenance low cover, a boundary hedge or what?

Janet

Its to provide a boundary of evergreen colour against a wooden fence.

I am assuming the plants I mentioned will only require an occasional
trim.

Janet Baraclough 09-07-2005 10:51 PM

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Its to provide a boundary of evergreen colour against a wooden fence.

I am assuming the plants I mentioned will only require an occasional
trim.

The box will grow faster (and potentially taller) than the euonymus.
Also, I'm not at all sure that box tolerates salt/severe wind in a
seaside area: there isn't much box to be seen round here.

Janet (isle of Arran)

Mike 10-07-2005 03:36 PM

We have box. 100 yards from the sea. Somewhat wind sheltered, but very prone
to flying salt as the windows show.

Thought that might help.

Southern Isle of Wight

Mike

--
RAF Regiment Assoc. Scarborough 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Eden Camp
H.M.S.Collingwood Assn Trafalgar Dinner. Coventry October 21 - 24

Dave 11-07-2005 11:24 AM

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:36:01 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

We have box. 100 yards from the sea. Somewhat wind sheltered, but very prone
to flying salt as the windows show.

Thought that might help.

Southern Isle of Wight

Mike

Thanks Mike and Janet.

How far apart should I plant these shrubs ?, also have you any other
suggestions for evergreens I might mix with those I already have in
pots.

TIA

Dave