Old 10-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Hampton Court saturday ..traffic jam cause?

Horrendous traffic from the M3 towards HC, gave up after moving a few
hundred yards in 20 mins, turned around and went via Richmond which worked
out well. Just out of interest, what was the cause? Was there an accident or
roadworks? The traffic coming towards us (away from HC) was also extremely
intermittent so it looked as if there was a definite blockage rather than
just sheer volume, esp as coming from Richmond there was v little traffic
going the same way as us even when right at HC.

This was my first Saturday visit, always been on a Sunday before, the plants
were a lot more expensive :-(
I suppose I was spoiled by all the 1/2 price offers on my previous visits
:-)

Also, can anyone recommend a source of small folding chairs or shooting
sticks, or similar, for next time? Chairs were in v short supply at eating
times (for sitting on, not eating :-). Didnt see any on sale at HC though
probably there were?

Resisted the urge to buy a clematis and have it die within a few months this
time. Seems new clematis just wont take in my garden wherever planted.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 AM
JennyC

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
snipped
Also, can anyone recommend a source of small folding chairs or shooting
sticks, or similar, for next time? Chairs were in v short supply at eating
times (for sitting on, not eating :-). Didnt see any on sale at HC though
probably there were?
Tumbleweed

The Army and Navy store seem to have several :~))
http://www.armynavystores.co.uk/shop/shop.asp?cat=c3

I've got a folding stool = its got a handy carrying strap and is very
lightweight

Jenny

Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

/snip/

Also, can anyone recommend a source of small folding chairs or shooting
sticks, or similar, for next time? Chairs were in v short supply at eating
times (for sitting on, not eating :-). Didnt see any on sale at HC though
probably there were?

Sports/shooting/fishing shop.

Resisted the urge to buy a clematis and have it die within a few
months this
time. Seems new clematis just wont take in my garden wherever planted.

Sell yer a set of green fingers, guv?

Guaranteed satisfaction, and comes in a 'andy haerosol can innit.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

I've got a folding stool = its got a handy carrying strap and is very
lightweight

I bought a plastic stool from Ellisdon's when I was an anklebiter. It
wasn't very convincing, but at least it didn't fold....

Old 10-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

/snip/

Also, can anyone recommend a source of small folding chairs or shooting
sticks, or similar, for next time? Chairs were in v short supply at
eating
times (for sitting on, not eating :-). Didnt see any on sale at HC though
probably there were?

Sports/shooting/fishing shop.

An elderly friend of mine has one (fishing, I think) which is
somehow part of a backpack, which is how she carries it around.

For anyone who can easily get up and down to ground level, I recommend
a simple good-quality plastic carrier bag. Waterproof, folds up tiny,
can be tucked in the smallest pocket and weighs nothing. And at the end
of the day you can carry plants in it :~}

Janet.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Mike

Also, can anyone recommend a source of small folding chairs or shooting
sticks, or similar, for next time? Chairs were in v short supply at eating
times (for sitting on, not eating :-). Didnt see any on sale at HC though
probably there were?

Very poor consideration of the stall holders. I have just had a stand at the
International Festival of the Sea at Portsmouth. The third I have done. I
ALWAYS take four folding camping chairs with me and have them available to
the public. (3 urglers made their acquaintance and used them :-)) and I know
that other stand holders do the same. Is it something to do with the 'Caring
Naval fraternity' which is missing in the gardening fraternity?

(Reinforces the aggression and the net nannying in this newsgroup)

Mike

Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Tumbleweed

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
[...]

but very 'ard on the arse!

Old 10-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

That could be it, I had put itdown to clematis wilt on the grounds they
wilted but I suppose if the stem was mostly eaten through it would look the
same. I have a few established clematis (clematii?) but new ones are v
difficult to keep going more than a few months.

pedant

Clemates?

/pedant

Old 10-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

For anyone who can easily get up and down to ground level, I recommend
a simple good-quality plastic carrier bag. Waterproof, folds up tiny,
can be tucked in the smallest pocket and weighs nothing. And at the end
of the day you can carry plants in it :~}

but very 'ard on the arse!

That depends entirely on the quality of the arse :~} I firmly
recommend the classic deluxe version with interior springs and superb
upholstery.

Janet.

Janet.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

For anyone who can easily get up and down to ground level, I recommend
a simple good-quality plastic carrier bag. Waterproof, folds up tiny,
can be tucked in the smallest pocket and weighs nothing. And at the end
of the day you can carry plants in it :~}

Janet.

but very 'ard on the arse!

You can always stuff it with your spare pullie...

Old 11-07-2005, 01:38 PM
jane

~
~ That could be it, I had put itdown to clematis wilt on the grounds they
~ wilted but I suppose if the stem was mostly eaten through it would look the
~ same. I have a few established clematis (clematii?) but new ones are v
~ difficult to keep going more than a few months.
~
~pedant
~
~Clemates?
~
~/pedant

Surely if the ending in singular is -is then the plural is -um?

as in
singular:
arbor
arborem
arboris
arbori
arbore

plural:
arbores
arbores
arborum
arboribus
arboribus

:-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 11-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Kay

In article , jane jane@moonros
e.demonmapson.co.uk writes

Surely if the ending in singular is -is then the plural is -um?

as in
singular:
arbor
arborem
arboris
arbori
arbore

plural:
arbores
arbores
arborum
arboribus
arboribus

:-)

Wrong example! You need something where the nominative ends in 'is' not
the genitive ;-)

eg civis pl cives .... which doesn't help your case ;-)
--
Kay