Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Ami Ami is offline
Registered User

Cool Newbie needing advice on moving bamboo!

Hi there!

I live in Farnborough, Hants and am in the process of redesigning the garden of our new home. We're south facing and as it's a row of terraces backing onto another, there isn't much privacy.

I have the opportunity of rehoming a clump of bamboo, which a friend no longer wants. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to determine the species!

It is currently around 15ft high (I may be exaggerating slightly but I'm only 5'3" and it seems huge!), very bushy, is definitely a clump forming non-invasive type and the canes seem to be green and brown striped.

We think it should be okay just to dig it up with as much of the root ball as possible as long as it's replanted in the new site straight away, but I know nothing about bamboo so would appreciate some suggestions.

Tnx,
Ami
Old 14-07-2005, 12:02 PM
nambucca

"Ami" wrote in message

[...]

better to wait till the autumn if you can because Bamboo when split or dug
up etc need lots of water or they go into shock and might die or drop loads
of leaves

You are correct to dig up in a huge root ball .......wrap it in polythene
and plant with plenty of compost etc plus water well for some weeks till it
seems ok