Old 12-07-2005, 01:38 PM
TheScullster

Default Bird Identity and Tree Pruning

I was pleased to discover that we have birds nesting in our copper beech
tree this year.
Are there any sites with pictures and names to assist identification?
The parents look like what I would call doves. Light silver grey plumage
all over. Size a bit smaller than a pigeon and rather more elegant IMO.
Anyone help with positive ID please?

Our other tree, a silver birch, is in need of a hair cut!
Is it usual (better for the tree) to cut back new branches to the point
where other branches have previously cut back to? Are these points called
pollards? It would look way neater to cut further back into the major
branches.

TIA

Phil

Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
JB

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:38:58 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

I was pleased to discover that we have birds nesting in our copper beech
tree this year.
Are there any sites with pictures and names to assist identification?
The parents look like what I would call doves. Light silver grey plumage
all over. Size a bit smaller than a pigeon and rather more elegant IMO.
Anyone help with positive ID please?

Collar doves perhaps?

If they sound like asthmatic cuckoos and have an IQ that would
embarass a glass of water then they're collar doves.

JB

Old 12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

wrote:

I was pleased to discover that we have birds nesting in our copper
beech tree this year.
Are there any sites with pictures and names to assist identification?
The parents look like what I would call doves. Light silver grey
plumage all over. Size a bit smaller than a pigeon and rather more
elegant IMO. Anyone help with positive ID please?

Collar doves perhaps?

They're 'collared doves' and they're not grey, they're pink(ish) (see
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/c...dove/index.asp). What our
friend has there is a stock dove (/Columba oenas/). See the RSPB description
here (http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/s...dove/index.asp). As to what
they sound like, well I can only describe it as an asthmatic owl.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

I was pleased to discover that we have birds nesting in our copper beech
tree this year.
Are there any sites with pictures and names to assist identification?
The parents look like what I would call doves. Light silver grey plumage
all over. Size a bit smaller than a pigeon and rather more elegant IMO.
Anyone help with positive ID please?

Sounds like a collared dove or a stock dove.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/