Old 13-07-2005, 12:41 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

Default Topiary - large Yews

We have some topiary trees - some large yews in our new garden. Not sure
I really like them, certainly at least one is rather too big in it's
position, but I don't feel able to just get rid at the moment, haven't
been trimmed yet this year and so are now in need of it (last owner said
he managed with 1 trim at about the end of June)

You can see a photo (taken early May) of a couple he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83014812@N00/25563643/

THe 'stepped' one at the back is the one that is really to big. It has
grown to wide and overhangs a lot of the path.

The others (3) are either simpler in shape or smaller.

So

1. Suggestions for best thing to use for this.

2. Best way to access the larger trees.

3. Can they be cut back into the older wood at all? - to reduce the
size.

Any other advice on topiary as it's all new to me?
--
Chris French
Old 13-07-2005, 02:25 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Chris French and Helen Johnson
contains these words:

1. Suggestions for best thing to use for this.

We have a small 2nd hand electric hedgetrimmer which is a godsend.
Much easier to use than my neighbours larger one which is too long and
heavy for my arms.

2. Best way to access the larger trees.

Trestles from Screwfix..John uses them with a platform for cutting
our tallest hedge (7ft) and much else. Much safer than ladders if you're
using a power trimmer.

3. Can they be cut back into the older wood at all? - to reduce the
size.

Yes. Yew is one of the few conifers which sprouts thickly again from
bare trunk.

Any other advice on topiary as it's all new to me?

Don't do it during nesting..there's always one in there somewhere :-)

Janet
Old 13-07-2005, 03:43 AM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:41:54 +0100, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

[...]

I've no personal experience but I do kow that yews can be cut very
hard back and will regrow even if cut back to the trunk, so it should
be possible to reshape or even start again.
They look very impressive!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Rupert

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
[...]

I don't particularly like topiary but in your case I will make an exception.
They look excellent--I would remodel the offending one or move the path

Old 13-07-2005, 02:19 PM
chris French

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Chris French and Helen Johnson
contains these words:

1. Suggestions for best thing to use for this.

We have a small 2nd hand electric hedgetrimmer which is a godsend.
Much easier to use than my neighbours larger one which is too long and
heavy for my arms.

not sure how well an electric trimmer would work on some of them, it
would have to be small.

2. Best way to access the larger trees.

Trestles from Screwfix..John uses them with a platform for cutting
our tallest hedge (7ft) and much else. Much safer than ladders if you're
using a power trimmer.

Ah yes, sound much better tan the previous chaps suggestion of just
leaning a ladder against the tree (can't reach from a normal stepladder)

I've decided what I really could do with here for so many jobs is a
little 'cherry Picker' :-)

3. Can they be cut back into the older wood at all? - to reduce the
size.

Yes. Yew is one of the few conifers which sprouts thickly again from
bare trunk.

Ah, that's good to know. Though given our experience with non-regrowing
Beech hedges (following suggestions here....) in the last house I may
trial it out on one I don't mind sacrificing.
--
Chris French

Old 14-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Charlie Pridham

[...]

I used the chain saw on mine when we first arrived they soon regrew. I have
found they are so dense that the sides support a ladder and I can walk on
the top! (No need for helicopters)
Shame on you for spoiling my enjoyment of the recent sunny weather - you
have just reminded me mine need doing :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 14-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
We have some topiary trees - some large yews in our new garden. Not sure
I really like them, certai

3. Can they be cut back into the older wood at all? - to reduce the
size.

I used the chain saw on mine when we first arrived they soon regrew. I have
found they are so dense that the sides support a ladder and I can walk on
the top! (No need for helicopters)

I wondering when the best time to cut them back hard might be

--
Chris French
Old 14-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Neil Jones

It probably depends where you are in the country but here in Kent the
received wisdom is that yew is cut in August, becasue this gives the
best compromise between keeping a crisp shape for as long as possible
while allowing foliage produced after the trim to ripen sufficiently to
be undamaged by frosts etc.

Neil

Old 14-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote in message [...]
Any other advice on topiary as it's all new to me?
--
Chris French

I don't particularly like topiary but in your case I will make an
exception. They look excellent--I would remodel the offending one

or
move the path

Ditto. They _are_ big: any idea of the thickness of the trunks inside
all that barbering?

--
Mike.