Old 17-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Matt Durkin

Default How can I soften my water?

Hi All,
I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as opposed to our
very hard tap water).
I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch rainwater.
Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as to remove the salts
that my plants don't like.

The sensitive plants are a Nepanthes & several Orchids.
Thanks
Matt

Old 17-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Phil L

Matt Durkin wrote:
:: Hi All,
:: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as opposed to
:: our very hard tap water).
:: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch rainwater.
:: Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as to remove the
:: salts that my plants don't like.

Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter which fits
onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a water butt....the ones
I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow and re-directs surplus water into
your drains.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 17-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Phil L

Martin wrote:
:: On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:35:38 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Matt Durkin wrote:
::::: Hi All,
::::: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as opposed
::::: to our very hard tap water).
::::: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch rainwater.
::::: Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as to remove the
::::: salts that my plants don't like.
:::
::: Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter which
::: fits onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a water
::: butt....the ones I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow and
::: re-directs surplus water into your drains.
::
:: Rainwater isn't necessarily soft.

He mentioned collecting rainwater, so I assume his rainwater is softer than
his tapwater

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 17-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Jim Scott

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:56:53 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:48:15 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
:: On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:35:38 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Matt Durkin wrote:
::::: Hi All,
::::: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as opposed
::::: to our very hard tap water).
::::: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch rainwater.
::::: Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as to remove the
::::: salts that my plants don't like.
:::
::: Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter which
::: fits onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a water
::: butt....the ones I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow and
::: re-directs surplus water into your drains.
::
:: Rainwater isn't necessarily soft.

He mentioned collecting rainwater, so I assume his rainwater is softer than
his tapwater

I wasn't sure if he realised just how acid rainwater can be in some
places.

I think you will find that rainwater is always soft, as hardness comes from
the (calcium) rocks it may filter through. However acidity is another thing
and you are correct to suggest that acidity (or lack of it) depends on the
atmosphere that the rain has passed through. Tap water can be any
combination of these depending where your water comes from, what the
atmosphere was doing at the time the rain fell from the sky and how it was
treated by the water company.
Hardness can be temporary or permanent. I used to keep tropical fish and
found acidity easy to determine with a ph kit, hardness on the other hand
is a complicated beggar to test for.
Your water company will tell you if you ask.
--
Jim
Tyneside UK
Old 17-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Matt Durkin

wrote:

Martin wrote:
:: On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:35:38 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Matt Durkin wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure how acid my rain / tapwater is, but I do know my tapwater is
very hard.
I don't have anywhere I can collect rainwater as there's no space to put a
water butt near my house (unfortunately).
just wondered what my optios are with the stuff coming out of the tap!
Cheers,
Matt

Old 17-07-2005, 07:33 PM
shazzbat

Major snippage

I'm not sure how acid my rain / tapwater is, but I do know my tapwater is
very hard.
I don't have anywhere I can collect rainwater as there's no space to put a
water butt near my house (unfortunately).
just wondered what my optios are with the stuff coming out of the tap!
Cheers,
Matt

Catch the mel****er when you next defrost the freezer. Or defrost the
freezer whenever you want to water the plants.

Steve

Old 17-07-2005, 07:45 PM
keith ;-\)

You could buy a water softener, or leave the tap water to stand in
buckets/watering cans for a few days which reduces some of the shit in the
water we recieve.

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

wrote:

Martin wrote:
:: On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:35:38 GMT, "Phil L"

:: wrote:
::

Old 17-07-2005, 08:01 PM
JennyC

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Matt Durkin wrote:
:: Hi All,
:: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as opposed to
:: our very hard tap water).
:: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch rainwater.
:: Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as to remove the
:: salts that my plants don't like.

Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter which fits
onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a water butt....the ones
I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow and re-directs surplus water into
your drains.

Phil, OP mentions NOT having room for a water butt .........

I wonder if boiled (then cooled!) water would do ?
Or maybe water sold for irons?
Jenny

Old 17-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Phil L

JennyC wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: . uk...
::: Matt Durkin wrote:
::::: Hi All,
::::: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as opposed
::::: to our very hard tap water).
::::: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch rainwater.
::::: Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as to remove the
::::: salts that my plants don't like.
:::
::: Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter which
::: fits onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a water
::: butt....the ones I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow and
::: re-directs surplus water into your drains.
::
:: Phil, OP mentions NOT having room for a water butt .........

I read it as him having nowhere to collect it *from*, IE a shed or
greenhouse roof

::
:: I wonder if boiled (then cooled!) water would do ?
:: Or maybe water sold for irons?
:: Jenny

TBH I can't imagine that any plants would care one way or another, many
animals are water based (us included) and hardness/softness is of no
importance!

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 17-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Phil L

keith ;-) wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: . uk...
::: JennyC wrote:
::::: "Phil L" wrote in message
::::: . uk...
:::::: Matt Durkin wrote:
:::::::: Hi All,
:::::::: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as
:::::::: opposed to our very hard tap water).
:::::::: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch
:::::::: rainwater. Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so as
:::::::: to remove the salts that my plants don't like.
::::::
:::::: Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter which
:::::: fits onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a water
:::::: butt....the ones I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow and
:::::: re-directs surplus water into your drains.
:::::
::::: Phil, OP mentions NOT having room for a water butt .........
:::
::: I read it as him having nowhere to collect it *from*, IE a shed or
::: greenhouse roof
:::
:::::
::::: I wonder if boiled (then cooled!) water would do ?
::::: Or maybe water sold for irons?
::::: Jenny
:::
::: TBH I can't imagine that any plants would care one way or another, many
::: animals are water based (us included) and hardness/softness is of no
::: importance!

:: You are Wrong!
::
:: --
:: Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Aside from top posting which I won't mention(!) would you like to elaborate,
or are you saying that *everything* I've typed is incorrect?

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 17-07-2005, 11:02 PM
keith ;-\)

"Phil L" wrote in message
news
keith ;-) wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: . uk...
::: JennyC wrote:
::::: "Phil L" wrote in message
::::: . uk...
:::::: Matt Durkin wrote:
[...]

Don't you find top posting easier to read,I click reply to post ,type my

message & click send! its that easy.
You are wrong saying hardness/softness is of no importance to plants.Most if
not all plants would prefer rain water obviously to tap water. The OP was
referring to nepanthes & orchids which definitely prefer
rainwater,hard/alkaline water can lock up important minerals,so the plant
would suffer over time.
Keith

Old 17-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike Lyle

keith ;-) wrote:
[...]
Don't you find top posting easier to read,I click reply to post
,type my

message & click send! its that easy.

[...]

Because it confuses me.
Why don't you like top-posting?

--
Mike.

Old 17-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Phil L

keith ;-) wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: news ::: keith ;-) wrote:
::::: "Phil L" wrote in message
::::: . uk...
:::::: JennyC wrote:
:::::::: "Phil L" wrote in message
:::::::: . uk...
::::::::: Matt Durkin wrote:
::::::::::: Hi All,
::::::::::: I seem to have a number of plants that prefer pure water (as
::::::::::: opposed to our very hard tap water).
::::::::::: I only have a very small garden and nowhere to easily catch
::::::::::: rainwater. Is there anything I can do to treat the tapwater so
::::::::::: as to remove the salts that my plants don't like.
:::::::::
::::::::: Use the rainwater from your house roof, you can get an adapter
::::::::: which fits onto your downspout and directs the rainwater into a
::::::::: water butt....the ones I've seen don't allow the butt to overflow
::::::::: and re-directs surplus water into your drains.
::::::::
:::::::: Phil, OP mentions NOT having room for a water butt .........
::::::
:::::: I read it as him having nowhere to collect it *from*, IE a shed or
:::::: greenhouse roof
::::::
::::::::
:::::::: I wonder if boiled (then cooled!) water would do ?
:::::::: Or maybe water sold for irons?
:::::::: Jenny
::::::
:::::: TBH I can't imagine that any plants would care one way or another,
:::::: many animals are water based (us included) and hardness/softness is
:::::: of no importance!
:::
::::: You are Wrong!
:::::
::::: --
::::: Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.
:::
:::
:::
::: Aside from top posting which I won't mention(!) would you like to
::: elaborate, or are you saying that *everything* I've typed is incorrect?
:::
:::
::: --
::: If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.
:::
::: Don't you find top posting easier to read,I click reply to post ,type my
:: message & click send! its that easy.

So do I but when I start a reply, my cursor is placed at the bottom, where
I've typed 'ZXZ' in this post, and people can follow the natural flow of
information from top to bottom

:: You are wrong saying hardness/softness is of no importance to
:: plants.Most if not all plants would prefer rain water obviously to tap
:: water. The OP was referring to nepanthes & orchids which definitely
:: prefer rainwater,hard/alkaline water can lock up important minerals,so
:: the plant would suffer over time.
:: Keith

Call me an old cynic but water is water! - and I said I doubt if any plants
could care either way, how can dissolved calcium and magnesium be of any
detriment to a plant? - it either utilises them or it doesn't, unless they
are active poisons to a plant I can't see how they would suffer.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

ZXZ

Old 17-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: keith ;-) wrote:
:: [...]
:::: Don't you find top posting easier to read,I click reply to post
:::: ,type my
::: message & click send! its that easy.
:: [...]
::
:: Because it confuses me.
:: Why don't you like top-posting?
::

HTH

:-p

makes following a thread almost impossible
are involved but when others join into a conversation it
upside down, it's OK for email where only two people
top posting is bad because you have to read the messages

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.