GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Underplanting Lady's mantle with bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/9880-underplanting-ladys-mantle-bulbs.html)

jfrobinson 09-03-2003 01:56 PM

Underplanting Lady's mantle with bulbs

Hi all

I am hoping to underplant two narrow strips along a driveway in which there
are white-barked birch trees growing. Does anyone know if it would be OK to
plant Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis) and underplant with spring-flowering
bulbs, ie snowdrops, daffodils & tulips. Would the Alchemilla roots
eventually prevent the bulbs emerging?

Regards
Valerie
(Tyrone)

---

BAC 09-03-2003 10:00 PM

"jfrobinson" wrote in message
Hi all

I am hoping to underplant two narrow strips along a driveway in which

there
are white-barked birch trees growing. Does anyone know if it would be OK

plant Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis) and underplant with

spring-flowering
bulbs, ie snowdrops, daffodils & tulips. Would the Alchemilla roots
eventually prevent the bulbs emerging?

In my experience, well established Alchemilla will tend to smother almost
everything. Use with care, would be my advice.