Old 09-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Rosie

Default A 'quick' border - ideas?

I have removed all the weeds/ivy from my huge borders and there isn't much
left.

My other half is complaining that our nice 'green' garden is now a wasteland
(even though the 'green' was evil weed).

So - what can I do to spruce things up quickly? I'd like to stick to blues,
whites and purples, as this is basically what's left in the remaining
shrubs...

The border is south-facing and well drained, with nice rich soil - it's
pretty good stuff.

ROSIE

Old 09-03-2003, 10:21 PM
AWM

"Rosie" wrote in message
I have removed all the weeds/ivy from my huge borders and there isn't much
left.

My other half is complaining that our nice 'green' garden is now a

wasteland
(even though the 'green' was evil weed).

So - what can I do to spruce things up quickly? I'd like to stick to

blues,
whites and purples, as this is basically what's left in the remaining
shrubs...

The border is south-facing and well drained, with nice rich soil - it's
pretty good stuff.

ROSIE

Apart from the pansy and petunias consider going from the small to the
pretty big --

Heathers (you can get fantastic vivid colours these days) and the various
Hebes , Andromeda (Marsh Rosmarie) --- all are ultra low maintentance and
work well spaced by small conifers.

Wall flower - (you can nice nice purple ones), Lavendula (aka Dutch
Lavender), Lavender, Magnolias

If you want something even bigger try Budlea (needs to be cut back regularly
or they become enormous ) or for a late summer to early winter burst of
barbie style showy colour Lavatera (Mallow) is available in various
colours of pink, purple white (either as a semi hardy shrub or an annual
from seed -- but keep both under control as they get big particulaly the
shrub form)