Old 10-03-2003, 07:47 AM
alan kearn

Default REPLANTING TREES

I have some beech trees i would like to move to another part of my
garden. Some are about three inches in diameter and ten feet tall and
some are about one and a half inches in diameter and six feet tall. If
it is possible to replant them how should i go about it.

THANKS
Alan Kearn.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Paul Kelly

"alan kearn" wrote in message
om...
I have some beech trees i would like to move to another part of my
garden. Some are about three inches in diameter and ten feet tall and
some are about one and a half inches in diameter and six feet tall. If
it is possible to replant them how should i go about it.

THANKS
Alan Kearn.

Yes.

The smaller ones may well move bare rooted in the dormant season (too late
for this year now!)

The larger ones need - and the smaller ones too preferably - need to be
moved complete with rootball. Also preferably in the dormant season.

Mind though, it is a BIG job with trees of that size.

Professionally it would be done with a "tree spade" a mechanical digger
thing that takes the rootball out of the ground in one grab and transports
it to the new planting position, (where it has previously taken out an empty
plug of earth. see
http://www.natlshade.com/tree_transplanting.shtml
http://www.natlshade.com/giant_tree_moving.shtml

for doing it by helicopter see:
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Plant...Helicopter.htm

If access and cost are no problem, there are firms who will come along to do
the job for you.

http://www.naturefirst.co.uk/tree_moving/

Diy method see
http://www.earthlypursuits.com/Garde...eLargeTree.htm

pk

Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 AM
Martin Sykes

"alan kearn" wrote in message
om...
I have some beech trees i would like to move to another part of my
garden. Some are about three inches in diameter and ten feet tall and
some are about one and a half inches in diameter and six feet tall. If
it is possible to replant them how should i go about it.

THANKS
Alan Kearn.

Getting them out of the way before the next joyrider hits them? :-)

Should be fine to move them now but get it done ASAP before they start
growing in earnest. According to the textbooks you should dig a trench
around each, well away from the trunk and then remove soil with a fork until
you expose the roots and have got it light enough to lift. Then just move it
into a hole in the new position. Stake it low down to stop the it rocking
until the roots settle in.

The less recommended method is to just lever it out with a fork and by
rocking it until you can wrench it out of the ground. This is what I did
with a number of young trees of a similar size last year and they suffered
no obvious ill effects.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:08 AM
fmurl

"Paul Kelly" wrote:

for doing it by helicopter see:
http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Plant...Helicopter.htm

I considered this option when I recently moved my Salix Integra.
Unfortunately, the neighbours kicked up a bit of a fuss so I had to resort
to quieter methods...

--
Please reply to the group, respect follow-ups and don't email me. Thank you.

Replanting Poinsettias in the garden ? (PNW) -L. Gardening 9 09-12-2003 04:42 PM
When to replanting Orange trees valmojado United Kingdom 2 19-10-2003 09:02 AM
Harvesting corn kernels for replanting Tom Elliott Australia 1 19-04-2003 12:44 AM
replanting new roses? Jane Roses 7 16-04-2003 03:56 AM
replanting new roses?I"M BACK! Jane Roses 0 15-04-2003 04:08 AM