Old 26-11-2005, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default At what temperature does grass start growing?

"Harris_Tweed" wrote in message
oups.com...
One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

Apparently not all grasses grow at the same temperature!
This site has MASSES of info: http://www.lawngrasses.com/info/temp-map.html
(OK it's American, but still.....)

and came across this :~))

There's a whole lot that is more exciting than watching grass grow. Two examples
would be watching milk curdle or paint peel. Grass grows very, very slowly -
approximately 3-5 inches per week depending on temperature, fertility, moisture
conditions, and season. That's about seven hundredths of an inch a day, three
thousandths of an inch an hour, five millionths of an inch per minute or eight
trillionths of an inch per second. This is not enough movement for the human eye
to register. Pretty boring.

Jenny "~)