Old 13-03-2003, 07:56 PM
iona

Default cacti

sorry to hear your cacti is dyeing.
my easter cacti will not flower any suggestions?
Old 13-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Cereoid+10+

Wait until Easter.

Better yet, water it thoroughly with a liquid foliage plant fertilizer
diluted quarter strength and let it go dry between waterings.

Give it plenty of light but not direct sunlight.

Not knowing the age or condition of your plant, really can't say much more.

Remember the "Easter Cactus" is an epiphytic type and not a desert type and
you will have better success growing it.

m...

Old 14-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Cereoid+10+

That Schlumbergera and Hatiora (Rhipsalidopsis) are "Jungle type" cactus is
a persistent myth. The genera are native to the subtropical forests and
mountains of southern Brazil, particularly the region around Rio De Janeiro
and not the hot and steamy Amazon basin. That's why they bloom best after
exposure to cool temperatures, dry conditions and short days. If they were
true jungle plants from near the Equator, cool temperatures and dry
conditions would be fatal.

Phisherman wrote in message
On 13 Mar 2003 11:46:06 -0800, (iona) wrote:

sorry to hear your cacti is dyeing.
my easter cacti will not flower any suggestions?

This is a jungle-type cactus that needs more moisture and warmth than
desert cacti. Use a rich potting mixture and provide the plant long
cool dark nights two months before blooming. Allow the plant to rest
after flowering. During the growing season give bright light, more
water, and organic fertilizer such as manure tea or fish emulsion.
When buds form, do not move the plant. If this doesn't work, see if
you can get a slip from a mother plant that is known to bloom at
Easter. I have a Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter cactus and most
of the time they bloom at the right times. It's my guess someone will
say these are not cacti, but I don't care.

[IMG] code is On

The evolution of cacti Cereoid+10+ Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Sansevieria not cacti Cereoid+10+ Gardening 11 10-03-2003 09:20 PM
Cacti Shadow Gardening 12 09-03-2003 04:08 AM
Cacti (fakes for yuppies) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 10 08-03-2003 03:32 PM
Red Spider Mite on cacti Jolltax United Kingdom 5 16-02-2003 07:26 PM