Old 06-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Shadow

Default Cacti

We have a very southwestern decor in our downstairs family room. I would
like to crow some cacti in this area, but the room receives very little
window light. Are there any varieties that do not require much light?

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 07-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 22:41:08 GMT, "Shadow"
wrote:

Are there any varieties that do not require much light?

the desert here gets 300 days of sunshine , next time consider a under
canopy rain forest decor....

Regards,

tomj
Old 07-03-2003, 02:20 AM
zhanataya

wrote:

We have a very southwestern decor in our downstairs family room. I would
like to crow some cacti in this area, but the room receives very little
window light. Are there any varieties that do not require much light?

Yes of course, They are all in the family of Silkceae.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Iris Cohen

We have a very southwestern decor in our downstairs family room. I would
like to grow some cacti in this area, but the room receives very little window
light.

Sorry to disappoint you, but all the cacti that would go with a southwestern
decor require very high light. You have three choices:
1. Artificial plants (ugh!)
2. Set up a growing area with fluorescent lights. 4 tubes are better then two.
The plants would still be happier if you put them outside for the summer.
3. Probably the most practical for you. Grow several cactus plants in a better
location, hopefully a very sunny south window. Rotate one or two of them in
your family room a week at a time. That way you can have your decor, but the
plants will be in a suitable home most of the time & their health will not
suffer. If you put them outdoors for the summer, it won't hurt for each plant
to spend a week in the family room.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 07-03-2003, 03:56 AM
jammer

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 00:55:44 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

the desert here gets 300 days of sunshine , next time consider a under
canopy rain forest decor...

LOL....that's funny.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 07-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

We have a very southwestern decor in our downstairs family room. I would
like to crow some cacti in this area, but the room receives very little
window light. Are there any varieties that do not require much light?

All of my cactus collection gets some sun. In the summertime, I move
some out onto the deck. I doubt a cactus would survive more than a
couple months in low light, especially if it is watered.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Cereoid+10+

You'd like to crow some cacti? Who are you Peter Pan?

If you had ever actually been to the desert southwest you would know what a
truly stupid question you are asking.

Settle for a few native American trinkets and forget about getting live
plants that you will only kill out of total ignorance. Better yet, settle
for a wide screen TV and stereo system like everyone else.
Plants are living things and not inanimate decor accessories to be abused by
yuppies with too much disposable income.

Old 07-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Cereoid+10+

You mean this stuff? All members of the Plasticales!

http://www.greeninteriors.co.uk/page...lastic%20Plant
s.htm

Old 07-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"Shadow" wrote:

We have a very southwestern decor in our downstairs family room. I would
like to crow some cacti in this area, but the room receives very little
window light. Are there any varieties that do not require much light?

Plastic ones.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 07-03-2003, 12:56 PM
zhanataya

Yes that's it!! Plants are reclassified too quickly for me to keep
up. These should do well don't you think?

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 05:28:09 GMT, "Cereoid+10+"
wrote:

You mean this stuff? All members of the Plasticales!

http://www.greeninteriors.co.uk/page...lastic%20Plant
s.htm

.. .

Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Shadow

If you had ever actually been to the desert southwest you would know what
truly stupid question you are asking.

Settle for a few native American trinkets and forget about getting live
plants that you will only kill out of total ignorance. Better yet, settle
for a wide screen TV and stereo system like everyone else.
Plants are living things and not inanimate decor accessories to be abused

by
yuppies with too much disposable income.

Thank you for that truly inspiring answer. You must have put a lot of
thought into it. I am sorry you felt my question was so stupid, but I do
thank you for pointing out my obvious shortcomings as a human being.

I am not a novice gardener, and I am hardly a yuppie with too much
disposable income (most weeks, like many of us, I am doing good just to make
ends meet). In the summer, I spend most of my time tending to my 1200 sq ft.
vegetable garden, 7 perennial beds, my pond garden, plus the annuals that
fill my back deck. In the winter, I tend to my indoor plants, which I
miraculously get to grow, and yes, even flourish. I do not abuse them, nor
do I consider them inanimate objects, as you have suggested. I do have quite
a few plants that will do well in low light conditions (Philodendron,
Dracaena, Aglaonema, and Aspidistra to name a few). They are all doing quite
well. Imagine that.

The cactus idea was just that, an idea, and I simply posed a question. I
have seeen cacti growing in low light conditions, and, although I realized
the answer would likely be no, I thought perhaps that there were possibly
some that grew well under those conditions. Perhaps the owners rotated them
between environments, as I do with some of my plants.

I have looked through your past posts, and I have found that these types of
answers are quite normal for you - snapping out sharp quips while offering
little or no help. I shall think twice before ever asking a question in here
again.

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 04:45:05 -0700, Tsu Dho Nimh
wrote:

Plastic ones.

http://www.mainlandmart.com/cactus.html
http://www.earthflora.com/cactus_plants.htm

made to match the Canadian SW look...

Regards,

tomj
Old 09-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Shadow

[...]

Thanks very much for your answer. I agree with the "ugh" of artificial
plants. I don't have any and wouldn't want them. As for your second
suggestion, I do have a large area in my basement that I have set up with
flouresent lights. This area gets most used this time of the year, when I am
beginning my seedlings (mostly annual, but some perennial)s. I could
dedicate a couple of banks of lights to the cacti, and like you said, rotate
them periodically. I also have a very suny south window which I could make
use of, so that may work too. I'll give your suggestions a shot.

Thanks again for your answer. People like Cereoid+10+, who, it seems, feels
more comfortable putting other people down and hurling insults than actually
offering up a suggestion, could learn a lot from you..

--
Shadow
Made In Canada, eh.

[IMG] code is On

The evolution of cacti Cereoid+10+ Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
cacti iona Gardening 3 14-03-2003 12:56 AM
Sansevieria not cacti Cereoid+10+ Gardening 11 10-03-2003 09:20 PM
Cacti (fakes for yuppies) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 10 08-03-2003 03:32 PM
Red Spider Mite on cacti Jolltax United Kingdom 5 16-02-2003 07:26 PM