Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Bryan

Default Transplanting Citrus

My wife planted a dwarf lemon and a dwarf orange tree next to the house.
Well, they aren't dwarves any more (maybe they never were).

I want to transplant them from the side of the house to the bigger back
yard.

What do I need to know?
Zip Code 94928 (don't know my growing zone particulars)

Old 01-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Bill

In article , bryan.459
@pac.bell.net says...
My wife planted a dwarf lemon and a dwarf orange tree next to the house.
Well, they aren't dwarves any more (maybe they never were).

I want to transplant them from the side of the house to the bigger back
yard.

What do I need to know?
Zip Code 94928 (don't know my growing zone particulars)

Get a good tree service to do it for you. Your back will thank you.
Next time you want a dwarf citrus make sure it's on Flying Dragon root
stock:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_111354238

Bill
Old 01-10-2005, 05:58 PM
David Ross

Bryan wrote:

My wife planted a dwarf lemon and a dwarf orange tree next to the house.
Well, they aren't dwarves any more (maybe they never were).

I want to transplant them from the side of the house to the bigger back
yard.

What do I need to know?
Zip Code 94928 (don't know my growing zone particulars)

You are in northern California, about 60 miles west of Sacramento.

Wait until you think the last frost is past in the spring. Prune
the tree severely but not enough to remove all foliage. Then dig a
root ball the same diameter as the remaining top growth, about 2
feet deep. Replant the same day as you dig it up. Put bone meal
or superphosphate into the new planting hole but no other
nutrients.

During the first year after moving, remove any fruit that starts to
form. Do not feed until the second year, after damaged roots have
recovered.

In your area, the trees should be near a south-facing wall. This
provides enhanced summer heat to ripen fruit. Also, in the winter,
the wall will absorb heat in the daytime and radiate it back at
night, reducing the risk of frost damage.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:22 AM
Bryan

"David Ross" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:

[...]

David and Bill,
Thanks for the ideas and information.
Much appreciated.
Bryan

[IMG] code is On

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
citrus help Tazman Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 18-03-2003 03:08 AM
Container citrus: lot's fruit, not many leaves richard holmes Gardening 0 11-03-2003 11:56 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM