Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Tazman

Default citrus help

Hi all,

I have a nice northern spot on my block that I want to put some citrus trees
in ...

The spot is approx 8 meters long and 2 1/2 meters wide... it runs east west
and has a 6 foot high fence on the northern side.

Location Sunny Perth WA.

Soil.. what soil .. it is all sand here.. (have not seen decent soil since
leaving good old Tassie)

I wish to put a lemon, lime, mandarin and grape fruit..

Is this too much of this spot.

I am thinking of raising the bed about 10 inches and adding some good
planting soil ... Will have an automatic watering system with shrub bubblers
delivering the water..

Also any suggestions on what type of each would do best...

Thanks in advance

Taz

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Heather Edwards

Dear Tazman,

Citrus (oranges & lemons) grow to approx 3-5m in height I'd allow spacing of
at least 1.5m (check with your local nursery).

They like moist, humid soils and like their foliage sprayed regularly with
water which also helps with pests. Watering personally I would recommend 2-3
drippers per tree once fully grown. The drippers should be placed at the
drip line of the foliage on the tree.

They like a deep rich soil with some sand, manure plus fertiliser for the
growing season. Check out Stirling Macoboy's Trees for Fruit & Foliage book
published by Angus & Robertson. Heather.

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Sprog

Hey, there is nothing wrong with our sand :-)
You will need to dig in lots and lots of organic material. The dig in some more just to be sure.
Plant in full sun, at least 3metres apart, mine are just about touching each other at 3metres, keep
them well watered, every day, for the first year, then once a week is good enough after that.
Fertilise twice a year, spring and autumn.
Mayer lemons are very nice and grow well, as do the Tahitian lime, West Indian lime and the Kaffir
Lime. Tahitian are picked when green, West Indian when yellow but can be used when green and Kaffir
both fruit and leaves are used.
Marsh is the common yellow grapefruit but see if you can get Ruby Red, Flame, or Star Ruby
grapefruits which have a red flesh and are nice and sweet. The pink fleshed are not much sweeter
than the yellow.
Don't have any Mandarins so can't help you there.

"Tazman" wrote:

Hi all,

I have a nice northern spot on my block that I want to put some citrus trees
in ...

The spot is approx 8 meters long and 2 1/2 meters wide... it runs east west
and has a 6 foot high fence on the northern side.

Location Sunny Perth WA.

Soil.. what soil .. it is all sand here.. (have not seen decent soil since
leaving good old Tassie)

I wish to put a lemon, lime, mandarin and grape fruit..

Is this too much of this spot.

I am thinking of raising the bed about 10 inches and adding some good
planting soil ... Will have an automatic watering system with shrub bubblers
delivering the water..

Also any suggestions on what type of each would do best...

Thanks in advance

Taz

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
help! bugs eating citrus plants andy_con United Kingdom 13 02-09-2007 05:39 PM
help with citrus prob MC Australia 4 20-06-2004 12:03 PM
Help re. Citrus tree planting Scott McCall Edible Gardening 5 15-05-2003 11:32 PM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM