Old 12-05-2008, 09:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dav Dav is offline

Default "Humanure Handbook" by Joseph Jenkins

Has anyone been useing humanure on there vegable gardens?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day dav,

yes we did when we lived on our property and were using a composting
toilet (dry system), a great resource very many willingly flush away
using good drinking water to do so.

the humanure book should be able to lead you through some diffrent
methods to do this.

On Mon, 12 May 2008 01:37:21 -0700 (PDT), Dav
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 13-05-2008, 09:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from enigma contains these words:

Dav wrote in news:30515023-37c8-
:

Has anyone been useing humanure on there vegable gardens?

the Chinese...

my grandad (our only lav was a bucket, invariably emptied into
trenches in the veg garden.He did this for 50 years with no problems.)

lots of Permaculturists

how hot can you get your manure pile? humans are omnivores,
which means we pass pathogens in our manure.

Duh, so do herbivores and even vegans! It's not diet that causes
pathodens in shit.

if you can't
sterilize it, you don't want it on your veggies.

There are safe ways to use it. Not on the surface around raw salad
crops, obviously; but
composted through a compost toilet, or dumped raw in trenches under
beans, corn, or other above-ground crops, it's perfectly safe. I'm still
alive as proof.

Janet.

It is safest if used with acidic crop like citrus or tomatoes. Not
recommended for aubergines or corn.

another consideration is, who will eat the crops. If only you and your
family I would suspect a good amount of whatever pathogens you crap out into
the dunny will have already circulated around the household through normal
human contact. Someone with better knowledge should of course correct me if
I am wrong.

rob

Old 13-05-2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have read that watermelon should definitely not be exposed to human waste
as the pathogens can get into the melons. It's something to do with large
cellular or intercellular size. Watermelon is the only risky fruit.

Andrew

Old 13-05-2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

[...]

That makes no sense at all, but I'm willing to listen if you 'explain
it. (I think corn is an ideal crop to fertilize the good old fashioned
Chinese way.)

Bob

Why doesn't it make sense? Explain yourself. All the elements of my
argument are in the first sentence.
--

Billy
Old 14-05-2008, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

[...]

Good catch Bob I was worried about human pathogens becoming systemic in
the plant (which lower pH crops could resist), but according to the
experts, that is not a problem but proximity to the ground may be.

http://cahe.nmsu.edu/CES/yard/2000/060300.html

Garden Over Septic Leach Field

Question:

I have an open area over my septic leach field and want to plant a
garden or orchard in that area. Is that a good idea?

Answer:

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to plant either a garden
(vegetables) or an orchard over the septic leach field. Although plants
will not absorb human disease organisms through their roots, it is
possible that disease organisms would be on the surface of the
vegetables (roots, leaves, or fruit) and could cause disease.

Although there is little chance that the disease organisms would be on
the surface of tree fruits, the problem with an orchard over the septic
field is that of the tree roots clogging th drain lines. It is best to
avoid planting trees too close to the leach field since their roots
extend a long distance from the trunk, even if the trees are not
directly over the leach field.

Perhaps it would be best to plant either a lawn or an ornamental garden
of annuals and other flowers which do not have a deep root system over
the leach field. This would preclude the use of edible plants or plants
with a deep root system which could cause problems.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related