Old 17-05-2005, 04:58 PM

Default 2005 American Rose Society Handbook ?

Does anyone have the current handbook- I was wondering about a rose that
I just bought called SUMMER'S KISS. Is this listed as a Hybrid Tea? And
can you also tell me what rating it got? Thank you! (I only have the
2003 handbook and it's not listed).

Old 17-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
Does anyone have the current handbook- I was wondering about a rose that
I just bought called SUMMER'S KISS. Is this listed as a Hybrid Tea? And
can you also tell me what rating it got? Thank you! (I only have the
2003 handbook and it's not listed).

It's not listed in the 2005 ARS handbook, either.
However, it is listed at www.helpmefind.com as
Hybrid Tea, large-flowered
Bred in France (1994) by Meilland International
Yellow blend
height 32" to 47"

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 19-05-2005, 06:59 PM

Thank you very much! It looks TAN which I thought was an interesting
color. I just joined Amer. Rose Society. I wonder why it's not in their
handbook?

Old 20-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
Thank you very much! It looks TAN which I thought was an interesting
color. I just joined Amer. Rose Society. I wonder why it's not in their
handbook?

They don't have every rose in the handbook. For
one thing there are a number of roses, e.g. available
in Europe, that are not available in the USA. ARS
does cover roses in commerce that have a current
garden performance rating (which would leave out
most if not all locally/regionally produced roses,
e.g., the ones I find offered from nurseries in Tyler
TX), older roses that are no longer in commerce
but still exist in gardens (private or public), etc.
The handbook also includes roses more widely
in commerce even if they don't have a rating. Plus
new introductions (presumably from major
suppliers but that's just a guess).

Bottom line: There are a gadzillion roses and ARS
covers only about 3,000. That's why I like to
direct people to www.helpmefind.com . There are
other sites that offer a similar service but I lost most
of my bookmarks.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8