Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Cost effective garden edges and retaining walls

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas of cost effective garden edges and retaining
walls? Do you know where I can buy/source the materials (in Brisbane)?

I'm going to do some no dig garden beds as well as some retaining walls
to make small terraces.

Thanks

Lionel.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:26 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:08:33 +1000, Lionel wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas of cost effective garden edges and retaining
walls?

Retaining walls? Try genuine railway sleepers. No other wood outlasts
them.

I've also used them as garden edging up to three deep/high. overlap nds
and pin with steel reo rod throught them. Hint, get a tripled geared
drill to the do job.

I'm going to do some no dig garden beds as well as some retaining walls
to make small terraces.

Really depends on look and traffic. I've used carport channelled
roofing, about 1' deep, but you need steps to enter and leave the garden.
Old 13-04-2010, 12:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:08:33 +1000, Lionel wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas of cost effective garden edges and retaining
walls?

Retaining walls? Try genuine railway sleepers. No other wood outlasts
them.

I've also used them as garden edging up to three deep/high. overlap nds
and pin with steel reo rod throught them. Hint, get a tripled geared
drill to the do job.

I've just been googling around for railway sleepers. I found them at
Nuway, works out approximately $50/sqm which is better than most other
products except treated pines, but I can't see treated pine being
healthy for a veggie garden.

I was hoping to find a cheaper solution but I'm beginning to think one
doesn't exist.

Thanks

Lionel.
Old 13-04-2010, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:05:23 +1000, Lionel wrote:

I was hoping to find a cheaper solution but I'm beginning to think one
doesn't exist.

Scrounging or making do. Start taking walks around your neighbourhood or
any neighbourhood big on home reno work and see what is out for rubbish
collection or in the skip.

Old 13-04-2010, 04:07 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Lionel" wrote in message
terryc wrote:
[...]

I used some old 2ft square cement slabs at a customers place and made a
reasonable raised bed. He gave me a tube of silicone that came out looking
like cement and it was gritty for the gaps which went into one of the hand
gun thingymebobs. Wasn't the worlds greatest look but suited his needs as he
can bend a little but not to ground level.

These look cool but I guess rather expensive
http://www.primolicious.com/Disabili...Log/story/4183. Ok if you are
handy with formwork.

Old 18-04-2010, 09:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Lionel" wrote in message
terryc wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:08:33 +1000, Lionel wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas of cost effective garden edges and retaining
walls?

Retaining walls? Try genuine railway sleepers. No other wood outlasts
them.

I've also used them as garden edging up to three deep/high. overlap nds
and pin with steel reo rod throught them. Hint, get a tripled geared
drill to the do job.

I've just been googling around for railway sleepers. I found them at
Nuway, works out approximately $50/sqm which is better than most other
products except treated pines, but I can't see treated pine being healthy
for a veggie garden.

I was hoping to find a cheaper solution but I'm beginning to think one
doesn't exist.

of course it does. use 2nd hand corrugated roofing! (you should be able to
get this for free, but failing that, it won't cost much). use an angle
grinder to cut it to the right height. i hope i am not being patronising in
saying the ripples should be vertical. also, it should keep snails out as
they can't get over a sharp ridge like you will have on the top.

railway sleepers look awfully nice but they are a bit pricey.
kylie

nb it is my assumption you're making veggie beds or something. if you want
it for terrace for a sloped area or something like that, you might want to
track down some stone. if you have some friends who live somewhere stony you
should again be able to get them for free.

Old 18-04-2010, 10:53 AM posted to aus.gardens

0tterbot wrote:
"Lionel" wrote in message
terryc wrote:
[...]

As it turns out my brother has been able to pickup some timber so I will
be able to build the garden beds and some retaining walls.

Like the corrugated iron idea, I think it would have to be in fair
condition to look good though.

kylie

nb it is my assumption you're making veggie beds or something. if you want
it for terrace for a sloped area or something like that, you might want to
track down some stone. if you have some friends who live somewhere stony you
should again be able to get them for free.

My brother also has a creek bank with plenty of stones, he's 2 hours
away buy I have considered picking up some stones. I would love to have
sandstone blocks by they are really expensive.