Old 13-04-2010, 12:05 PM posted to aus.gardens
Lionel[_2_] Lionel[_2_] is offline

Default Cost effective garden edges and retaining walls

terryc wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:08:33 +1000, Lionel wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas of cost effective garden edges and retaining
walls?

Retaining walls? Try genuine railway sleepers. No other wood outlasts
them.

I've also used them as garden edging up to three deep/high. overlap nds
and pin with steel reo rod throught them. Hint, get a tripled geared
drill to the do job.

I've just been googling around for railway sleepers. I found them at
Nuway, works out approximately $50/sqm which is better than most other
products except treated pines, but I can't see treated pine being
healthy for a veggie garden.

I was hoping to find a cheaper solution but I'm beginning to think one
doesn't exist.

Thanks

Lionel.