Tree netting

Old 10-06-2004, 12:09 AM
Norman

Default Tree netting

We moved into our new house last year and there was a beautiful fruiting
cherry tree there.

The problem was that the birds got to the cherries before we could.

Can anyone advise on the best method to protect my cherry tree this year. Is
the only way to buy netting? If so where is the best place to buy netting
and is it expensive.

Is it a good idea to put the netting over the tree during the Winter months
so it is already in place when the tree gets leaves or should I put it on
after the tree starts to fruit.

Your assistance is much appreciated

Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 AM
Belinda

No idea about alternative ways, but you could always hunt down tulle in op
shops? and maybe sew the pieces together. ?

Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Geodyne

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:47:29 +1000, "Norman"
wrote:

We moved into our new house last year and there was a beautiful fruiting
cherry tree there.

The problem was that the birds got to the cherries before we could.

Can anyone advise on the best method to protect my cherry tree this year. Is
the only way to buy netting? If so where is the best place to buy netting
and is it expensive.

ALthough I can't tell you the price off the top of my head, bird
netting is really quite cheap (depending of course on the size of your
tree). You can find it at any larger hardware shop, most likely in the
same aisle as the shadecloth. Do try to gather it around the trunk of
the tree so the birds don't get smart and fly under it.

Is it a good idea to put the netting over the tree during the Winter months
so it is already in place when the tree gets leaves or should I put it on
after the tree starts to fruit.

After fruiting. If you have it on prior to bud burst the leaves can
grow through the net, making it very hard to remove. Also, while the
holes in the net are large enough to let bees in to pollinate, there's
no sense in making it harder for them.

Geodyne