Old 07-03-2003, 01:58 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default Keeping Shohin Alive

There's a Shohin thread in the Gallery running and that is one of my
favorite sizes to work with. Easy to collect natives that size, easy to
repot, easy to get cheap plastic training pots for...but...

Where do you keep these?

I'm outside Austin, Texas, USDA Zone 8a, and with weird 17 degree F freezes
after winter's over, then summers with whole weeks over 110 F (about 6 weeks
over 100 each year, at least a couple days around or over 120)...I can't
keep anything that small alive outside!

Miss just one of the two or three daily waterings and, csheeeek! Toss at
least one on the compost pile!

I've tried moving on to larger potensai, and this year find the pots much
more expensive...and that it takes A LOT more sifting for the repotting!
Whew... :)

What's your secret? How do you keep them alive without either being retired
or having help?

John T. Jarrett
Austin, Tex

Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Iowa Harry

Hi John,

Build your own mister/drip irrigator. Set it up on a timer so you are no
longer doing the watering. Just the occasional check of the system to make
sure is operational. Just hope the power doesn't go out.

Harry in Iowa