Old 24-07-2010, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Leaves Curling In on themselves?

I recently planted two very healthy, very vibrant Gold Cot apricot trees.
The two saplings were prime specimens, good leaf color, excellent spacing on
each leaf, with limb strong limbs, and a straight stem. The rootballs on
both were also very healthy looking.

I planted them in where they will receive sun from 9am to approx. 2 pm every
day. Watering, at first, was often to allow the plants to take to their new
ground. I also spaced them ten feet from each other.

Things were going well until this morning when I looked closely at one. The
new-growth leaves upon it's left side are curling with the upper 6-inches of
the tree's new growth brittle and bare of any leaves.

I think the disease is verticillium dahliae and was hoping for a way of
assisting the apricot through this trying time.

The Ranger

Old 25-07-2010, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:50:30 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

I recently planted two very healthy, very vibrant Gold Cot apricot trees.
The two saplings were prime specimens, good leaf color, excellent spacing on
each leaf, with limb strong limbs, and a straight stem. The rootballs on
both were also very healthy looking.

I planted them in where they will receive sun from 9am to approx. 2 pm every
day. Watering, at first, was often to allow the plants to take to their new
ground. I also spaced them ten feet from each other.

Things were going well until this morning when I looked closely at one. The
new-growth leaves upon it's left side are curling with the upper 6-inches of
the tree's new growth brittle and bare of any leaves.

I think the disease is verticillium dahliae and was hoping for a way of
assisting the apricot through this trying time.

The Ranger

I don't remember where you are but check out the extension office in
your area.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 25-07-2010, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:50:30 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

[snip apricot tree problems]
I don't remember where you are but check out the extension office in
your area.

Zone 9b, I believe... Santa Clara Valley, CA.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

A class would be nice, were time and money permitting, but currently neither
are available in enough quantities.

Thank you for the site, though. I did get more information and ideas.

The Ranger

Old 25-07-2010, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 09:34:41 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

The Cook wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:50:30 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

[snip apricot tree problems]
I don't remember where you are but check out the extension office in
your area.

Zone 9b, I believe... Santa Clara Valley, CA.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

A class would be nice, were time and money permitting, but currently neither
are available in enough quantities.

Thank you for the site, though. I did get more information and ideas.

The Ranger

I am of the opinion that everyone in the US should know how to contact
their local extension agent. They are the ones who should have the
best information for your area, from what varieties work best to what
in the world is killing my plant. The people here can give some
general information but don't count on it being applicable to your
area.

The agent for my area has been showing up at the local farmers market
to answer questions. Took a sample of a very sick tomato plant in
yesterday. Forget trying to make it well.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 29-07-2010, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 24, 10:50*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
I recently planted two very healthy, very vibrant Gold Cot apricot trees.
The two saplings were prime specimens, good leaf color, excellent spacing on
each leaf, with limb strong limbs, and a straight stem. The rootballs on
both were also very healthy looking.

I planted them in where they will receive sun from 9am to approx. 2 pm every
day. Watering, at first, was often to allow the plants to take to their new
ground. I also spaced them ten feet from each other.

Things were going well until this morning when I looked closely at one. The
new-growth leaves upon it's left side are curling with the upper 6-inches of
the tree's new growth brittle and bare of any leaves.

I think the disease is verticillium dahliae and was hoping for a way of
assisting the apricot through this trying time.

The Ranger

Pull off a leaf, take it to Yamagami's Nursery on DeAnza near 85 and
ask them.

Sounds like peach leaf curl to me.

Susan B.