Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Roger

Default plum tree identification...

Hello.. I live on the Central coast of california. I HAD a really
great plum tree which had a deep dark purple skin with a dark purple
flesh. This tree was old and the base rotted and about a year ago it
died. I would like to get this same plum variety, but now I'm not even
sure what variety it was. The leaves on the tree were also a purplish
color. Anywhere online have photos of plum tree varieties? I miss it..
any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you... roger
Old 02-07-2004, 07:02 AM
sherwindu

Hi Roger,
Not an easy task. Just to give you an idea of the enormity of it, check
the following:
http://www.penpages.psu.edu/penpages...1/2940148.html
You may get some ideas from this site. If you had known earlier, you
could have
taken a branch from the dying tree and grafted it to a healthy plum
rootstock. If your tree was not grafted originally and you see some
suckers coming out of the base of
the old tree, you might try and propagate them, but success if
questionable.
Try your local botanic garden or library for reference books. I use
the 'Nut, Fruit,
and Berry Inventory Book', but is has no pictures. You may be able to
match it up
from the text descriptions.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 02-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Roger

Hey Sherwin.. thanks for the info... I'm thinking I might have a digital
photo somewhere of this tree when it was doing good. I'm sure the tree
was grafted in some way. The tree had a couple major branches that had
leaves of a different color. I was excited when I saw the suckers you
speak of coming up, but the leaves are all green.. I don't think it is
going to yield the wonderful fruit of the old tree.. I'll look at this
link.. I'll try and provide a link to a photo if i find it.. thanks! Roger

Old 29-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Kirsty

Near on an impossible task, especially since the tree is now dead.
Impossible for anyone in the news group to 'guess' on.

However as most of the cultivated plums in the United States are derived
from European and Japanese varieties, you can probably assume it will fall
into this category. (great over 300 types to choose from) However, these is
also a native American plumb (I have no experience with these type or what
they are like)

From the colour you describe it is probably a European variety, as Japanese
plums are 1. Usually more pointed in shape and vary in colours from yellow
to light red but usually not purplish-blue. (Ok probably narrowed down the
selection) and usually require cross pollination. (though from what you
state this may have been provided for on a the tree with a double grafting)

But then I just found this one :

HOLLYWOOD Bears large reddish purple plums that ripen in mid-August. Plums
are delicious fresh eating, freestone when fully ripe. Excellent for
Western Washington. Apparently does not require cross-pollination.
Japanese type. (pretty unusual for a Japanese plumb as they usually require
cross pollination) Link has picture.

http://www.hartmannursery.com/Plums.htm

Forget it, even with a picture of the dead tree, when it was a alive, you
have your work cut out for you.

Go buy a new tree and find out what you are buying. (taste test) Get someone
to graft more than one type onto the tree so you have 1. Cross
pollination/more variety/different blooming/fruiting times.

That would be my advice.
Liza