Old 30-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Michael

Default Grass damage due to cold weather

I live in New York and we had a colder than average winter. Until 2
weeks ago, the grass in my lawn had been covered by snow for over 3
months. After the snow was melted, most of the grass was white. Even
after two weeks of warmer weather (50's and 60's), there wasn't any
improvement to the grass condition. I took a sample to my local
nursery, and a staff told me the grass was damaged. He believe it
wasn't deasese related, but probably due to the cold winter. The
grass that I showed him was perennial rye and it made up most of the
lawn. I had reseeded two areas in my lawn previously using different
grass seeds and these two areas look fine (quite green) after the snow
melt.

Is perennial rye more suspectible to cold weather damage than other
types of grass? I guess a few more weeks of warm weather would tell
me whether the grass would come back, and I am considering using
fertilizer to improve the chance. My understanding is that perennial
rye is a cold season grass and I am surprised it could be damaged due
to cold weather.

Michael
Old 31-03-2003, 08:56 PM
David Simmons

(Michael) wrote in message . com...
[...]

In a word, yes. You didn't say where in NY state you are... Perennial
rye generally does not tolerate temperature extremes, and IMO really
shouldn't be used as the primary seed in a lawn anywhere except Oregon
or Washington state. It also is susceptible to drought and heat stress
because of its shallow roots, does not grow well in areas with
drainage problems, and doesn't stand up well to foot traffic. If
you're on Long Island or in Westchester, you're much better off with a
turf-type tall fescue, and up to 25% kentucky bluegrass to keep it
from thinning out. Further north, I'd recommend a kentucky bluegrass
lawn, with up to 25% perennial rye (mainly b/c bluegrass takes forever
to germinate). Bluegrass is much more tolerant of cold weather since
it is native to North America; ryegrass is native to Europe.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Michael

In a word, yes. You didn't say where in NY state you are... Perennial
rye generally does not tolerate temperature extremes, and IMO really
shouldn't be used as the primary seed in a lawn anywhere except Oregon
or Washington state. It also is susceptible to drought and heat stress
because of its shallow roots, does not grow well in areas with
drainage problems, and doesn't stand up well to foot traffic. If
you're on Long Island or in Westchester, you're much better off with a
turf-type tall fescue, and up to 25% kentucky bluegrass to keep it
from thinning out. Further north, I'd recommend a kentucky bluegrass
lawn, with up to 25% perennial rye (mainly b/c bluegrass takes forever
to germinate). Bluegrass is much more tolerant of cold weather since
it is native to North America; ryegrass is native to Europe.

Thanks. I live in Dutchess Counnty, about 20 to 30 miles north of
Westechester. Hopefully, the rye grass will grow back, but if not
then I have to reseed the lawn and I will take your recommendations
into consideration.

Michael