Old 01-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Michael

Default Grass damage due to cold weather

In a word, yes. You didn't say where in NY state you are... Perennial
rye generally does not tolerate temperature extremes, and IMO really
shouldn't be used as the primary seed in a lawn anywhere except Oregon
or Washington state. It also is susceptible to drought and heat stress
because of its shallow roots, does not grow well in areas with
drainage problems, and doesn't stand up well to foot traffic. If
you're on Long Island or in Westchester, you're much better off with a
turf-type tall fescue, and up to 25% kentucky bluegrass to keep it
from thinning out. Further north, I'd recommend a kentucky bluegrass
lawn, with up to 25% perennial rye (mainly b/c bluegrass takes forever
to germinate). Bluegrass is much more tolerant of cold weather since
it is native to North America; ryegrass is native to Europe.

Thanks. I live in Dutchess Counnty, about 20 to 30 miles north of
Westechester. Hopefully, the rye grass will grow back, but if not
then I have to reseed the lawn and I will take your recommendations
into consideration.

Michael