Repair parts for vintage traveling sprinkler

Old 05-05-2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Repair parts for vintage traveling sprinkler

I have a traveling cast-iron sprinkler that looks like it was made in
the 1950s or 60s (maybe earlier).

It works well, but the main gear that is driven by the spinning
sprinkler arms is nylon and it is wearing thin.

Back in the 70s in Sacramento, I remember the small hardware stores
used to carry repair parts -- gears, seals, nozzles, etc.

I'm in Atlanta now, and I still really like this thing. It is
fascinating to have a tool like this that has been working for hundreds
of hours every year for probably half a century.

Anyway, where can I get parts for this thing? It says Crestline
Sprinkler on the wheels, but from the pics I have seen on eBay and
other sources, it looks like the same model was made by Thompson and by
L R Nelson many years ago.

I'll buy the whole old sprinkler if I have to just to get that gear.
Or,.. maybe I'll have one of my machinist friends make the gear -- it
is pretty simple. Maybe an existing gear can be modified, eh?

Thanks for any info.

Mel

Old 05-05-2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mel wrote:
[...]

If it really is the same as the Nelson unit then you can buy repair
parts for it he http://stores.yahoo.com/lrnelsoncorp/repa.html

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 06-05-2006, 07:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have one of those old sprinklers too. It says Thompson on it, and it
is not all enclosed like the Nelson.

The repair parts you refer to are for much newer sprinklers. The
relics that Mel and I have are many decades old, I'll bet. Mine looks
like eBay #7763298758.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Thompson...QQcmdZViewItem

I need the gear that he talks about and whatever assortment of seals
are necessary to keep the thing from leaking so badly.

Traveling Sprinkler AgMan Gardening 16 20-03-2006 06:41 AM
Traveling Sprinkler AgMan Edible Gardening 10 08-03-2006 05:13 PM
lawn sprinkler system repair pak Gardening 1 24-04-2005 12:13 AM
AD: I repair lawn sprinkler systems snaylor Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
AD: I repair lawn sprinkler systems snaylor Texas 0 24-02-2003 06:32 PM