Can I put store receipts in my compost pile?

Old 03-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Baxter

Default Can I put store receipts in my compost pile?

I have a lot of shredded store receipts and I am wondering if they can
be thrown into my compost bin. Should I be concerned about the ink, or
the type of paper used for receipts?

Thanks,
Baxter
Old 04-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Fito

"Baxter" wrote in message
m...
I have a lot of shredded store receipts and I am wondering if they can
be thrown into my compost bin.

Yes.

Old 04-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Baxter

"Fito" wrote in message ...
"Baxter" wrote in message
m...
I have a lot of shredded store receipts and I am wondering if they can
be thrown into my compost bin.

Yes.

Some of my receipts have the texture of fax paper. And I was told that
fax papers should not be put into the pile. Is that true?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Lloyd Trainer

Yes you are able to put more store receipts in to your compost pile,
not too many tho, and some receipts are print on fax like paper, this
should not be used as it has been treated.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Baxter

Wow that is a detailed reply. Thanks for the link to the NCR spec. It
really looks like lots of my receipts are of the fax paper type. The
reason I want to compost the receipts is that I don't want to put them
in the curb-side recycle bin. I've heard stories about people stealing
them even though they are shredded. Identitiy theft is something I
want to avoid. So I think composting them is a good idea. Looks like I
need to rethink my strategy.

Thank you!

Salty Thumb wrote in message . ..
Phisherman wrote in
:

On 3 May 2004 14:53:42 -0700, (Baxter) wrote:

I have a lot of shredded store receipts and I am wondering if they can
be thrown into my compost bin. Should I be concerned about the ink, or
the type of paper used for receipts?

Thanks,
Baxter

You can use the store receipts in the compost. It should be soy ink.
I prefer to hang onto my receipts for at least a month. I add coffee
grounds and filter to the compost. You can add shredded B&W newspaper
too.

I think most of the stores around here use or have switched to thermally
printed receipts (pizza hovel, beast buy, office min, c-mart, home despot
to name a few). The plus side is the company doesn't need to ****** around
with ink ribbons or cartridges. The down side is your receipt turns to
crud after a while.

In this product literature about NCR brand Thermal fax paper
http://www.ncr.com/products/supplies...er_product.htm

it says: All fax paper is treated to minimize curling.

but it doesn't say treated with what, or if the same kind of paper that is
used for thermal faxes is used for store receipts.

I stick my shredded receipts in the paper recycling, but if I didn't have
that, I still probably wouldn't compost it. Coffee filters, and newspaper
with black ink, I'm okay with in small quantities.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Pen

I know what you mean. The ink on thermal paper will fade in the sun.
Home depot has a 1 year warranty on plants with a receipt. It's funny
that after 1 year, the receipt fades into a blank sheet!

Old 08-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Warren

Pen wrote:
I know what you mean. The ink on thermal paper will fade in the sun.
Home depot has a 1 year warranty on plants with a receipt. It's funny
that after 1 year, the receipt fades into a blank sheet!

There's no ink involved with thermal paper. The writing on the paper is
caused by heat. That's why it's called thermal.

If you keep the receipts out of direct light, in a cool, reasonably dry
place, they should last many years. Store them on the dashboard of a car
in a humid climate, and they won't last a week. If they're lasting less
than a year, you're probably storing them closer to the later than the
former.

As for the original question about putting them in the compost bin, I
wouldn't. I wouldn't put wax paper, gift wrap, or any other product that
is just paper-based, and not really paper.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 AM
David Hill

Why not just burn them?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Salty Thumb

"Warren" wrote in news:nhXmc.48205$0H1.4560042
@attbi_s54:

Pen wrote:
I know what you mean. The ink on thermal paper will fade in the sun.
Home depot has a 1 year warranty on plants with a receipt. It's funny
that after 1 year, the receipt fades into a blank sheet!

There's no ink involved with thermal paper. The writing on the paper is
caused by heat. That's why it's called thermal.

Without getting pedantic about 'ink' here is an interesting summary of
thermal printing technology:

http://www.lintech.org/comp-per/16THERM.pdf

For what it's worth, they call the thermally sensitive material 'dye'
(16.3.1 Direct Printing on Thermal Paper, p.5).

If you keep the receipts out of direct light, in a cool, reasonably dry
place, they should last many years. Store them on the dashboard of a

car
in a humid climate, and they won't last a week. If they're lasting less
than a year, you're probably storing them closer to the later than the
former.

As for the original question about putting them in the compost bin, I
wouldn't. I wouldn't put wax paper, gift wrap, or any other product

that
is just paper-based, and not really paper.

The crystalized ones I mentioned have been stowed away in manila
envelopes or paper boxes, 60F-80F. Most of them are legible, but the
contrast is unusally considerably less. But I also have some that have
had the heat exposure (esp. pizza hut) and are ~50% dark.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Salty Thumb

"David Hill" wrote in news:c7i437
:

Why not just burn them?

Wouldn't want to inhale the exhaust. I've also heard you shouldn't burn
gift wrapping paper.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 AM
David Hill

"..........
Wouldn't want to inhale the exhaust. I've also heard you shouldn't burn
gift wrapping paper. ..........."

Then you don't stand down wind of the fire.
I should think you breath in more noxious fumes every day from cars than
you will from burning store receipts and gift wrapping paper.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Medina, soil activator (Molasses?) Brian Clifton Texas 2 31-03-2011 05:20 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Texas 1 28-02-2003 04:26 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 01:27 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Gardening 2 20-02-2003 04:27 AM