Old 02-01-2007, 03:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Barkeria whartonianum

Barkeria whartonianum another species. There are several of these
that are much the same & J. Pfahl talks about the differences with the
column & the lip.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Attached Thumbnails
Barkeria whartonianum-barkeria-whartonianum-303a100-00098.jpg   Barkeria whartonianum-barkeria-whartonianum-303a100-00094.jpg
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Nice couple of Barkerias, Wendy.

I share your love for them and they do grow so easily once you recognise
that they don't like wet feet. I have a plant of Barkeria scandens which
struggled along in a pot for many years. Once I realised that it was better
mounted it has not looked back.

Thanks for sharing a few species we don't see often here in OZ.

Cheers

John

Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Oh yes John, I thought I had Barkeria scandens but it is Barkeria spectabilis
that has not bloomed for me.
I must look for scandens as it is also very pretty with a much larger lip &
deeper mauve no?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

A picture is worth a thousand words - herewith a photo of my B. scandens.

Yes, well worth getting a piece, Wendy

Cheers

John

"wendy7" wrote in message
Oh yes John, I thought I had Barkeria scandens but it is Barkeria
spectabilis
that has not bloomed for me.
I must look for scandens as it is also very pretty with a much larger lip
&
deeper mauve no?

--

"wendy7" wrote in message
Barkeria whartonianum another species. There are several of these
that are much the same & J. Pfahl talks about the differences with
the column & the lip.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Attached Thumbnails
Barkeria whartonianum-barkeria-scandens.jpg
Old 02-01-2007, 10:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Well, since we are doing Barkeria's now I thought about posting this
one. It is a Barkeria spectabilis, but with a very interesting colour. I
bought it as a semi-alba, but even the 'white' is a little pinkish so I
don't think it is correct to call it semi-alba then.

Greets, Niek

"wendy7" wrote in message
Barkeria whartonianum another species. There are several of these
that are much the same & J. Pfahl talks about the differences with
the column & the lip.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Attached Thumbnails
Barkeria whartonianum-barkeria-spectabilis-plant-9-12-2006-14-57-07.jpg

Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 23:27:15 +1100, "John Varigos"
wrote:

Oooh nice, Niek

Very nice comparison - we should post this way more often. Lovely to
see all your lovely Bakeria. Thanks, Wendy, John and Niek.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids