Old 13-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Registered User

Default My orchid is dying :-(

Hello everyone,

One of my orchids is looking very very sick and I'm hoping someone can tell me whats wrong.

I've kept a phaeleanopsis for about a year now, and that one was fine (so I assume the growing conditions, level of watering etc. are ok), until I bought 4 more orchids about 2 months ago, and then it's all gone down hill. The new orchids weren't looking very happy about a week after I got them, which I assumed was shock, because it was very cold that day (and I had to wait outside with them for ages for the bus!). But they were doing alright, the real problem was then with my old orchid - 2 leaves went yellow and brown (about 6 weeks ago), so I cut them off. I now have brown indentations surrounded by light patches on the leaves, which I think is a fungus - I have just covered the leaves with cinammon, so can't send a pic :-) Then, 3 days ago, one of the new phals (which had started to look pretty healthy again) started to drop its flowers really quickly and the leaf started to go yellow. The yellow is spreading really fast and now nearly all the leaf is yellow (see pic). The yellow bit has a shrivelled appearance. I'm thinking I should cut it off (with a sterilised knife), but it only has 3 leaves! And there is no new growth. What is happenning to it, and why?

The only thing I think that I could have done wrong was going away for 2 weeks over Christmas and therefore not watering it. But the temp of the flat never dropped below 15 celcius. Anyway, now my other phal is starting to develop a yellow leaf. I am quite sad at their untimely demises, so please help. Emma x

PS. I can't upload the photos, but will try attach them later
Old 14-01-2009, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Emma,

You cannot post images to this newsgroup in the first place, so don't even
try. If you can do so, posting them at alt.binaries.pictures.orchids is the
way to go.

There are a number of potential reasons for what you're seeing, and I would
look for different reasons for the plant you've had a while and your newer
acquisitions. Certainly the extended period of no watering could affect
them all, but as far as the "old guy" is concerned, I'd first take a look at
the condition of the root system.

Organic potting medium components - bark, moss, etc. - decompose over time.
As they do, they break down into smaller particles, and eventually begin to
suffocate the root system, especially when we water and the water droplets,
held in place by surface tension, block the porosity. If that is the case,
repotting in to fresh medium is the way to go.

It is conceivable that your newer additions are suffering from the same
malady, as it is difficult to know how recently they were repotted, and if
the medium is too dense for your conditions, all bets are off.

Go ahead an remove any yellow leaves, as they will not recover.

--
emmawhite