Neon Green Slime on top of pond

Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Neon Green Slime on top of pond

This is a new one for us in 20 years of ponding. This stuff lays on
top of the water, which is clear under it. I tried skimming it off
but it is so fine much of it just goes thru the skimmer. We have a
sidewall skimmer, and 3 barrel filtration system. Brushes in the
first, springflo in the 2nd, and quilting batting in the 3rd. DH just
cleaned them and said he'd never seen so much muck/mulm. The rows of
brushes were so heavy with gunk that it too 2 hands to lift them out!!
Back to the green stuff, it sticks to everything, even hands, mine
were neon when I took them out. It gets on the fishies noses when
they eat. UV light was just reinstalled Friday, and water under slime
is clear. What is this crud, and how do I get rid of it? I've
thought of seining it off with some fabric, but thought I'd check here
first. Also, DH put our yearly salt dose in a week or 2 ago.

Thanks for any ideas or help. BTW this is not an oil slick, no
rainbows or anything other than GREEN!!!
Nan in DE

Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nan & Rich Zitney wrote:
[...]

The colour makes me think of Spirogyra. Could it be in early stages and not
filamentous yet?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nan

On Apr 7, 4:04 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Nan & Rich Zitney wrote:

[...]

Thanks Pete, We'll check out the possibility. Seems to be better with
the UV light on for a few days.
Nan
De

Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

sounds like pollen. bamboo? http://www.inbar.int/Board.asp?BoardID=257
Ingrid

Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph39.htm
went to take a look. bamboo flowers, sets seeds and dies. bamboo is highly variable
in length of life. so not seeing this before is consistent with a 20+ year life span
of bamboo in the area. INgrid

Old 11-04-2009, 06:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

Nan, Do a water quality check. What are your water change out habits?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-04-2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nan wrote:
On Apr 7, 4:04 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Nan & Rich Zitney wrote:

[...]

Hows things?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 15-04-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nan

On Apr 14, 4:28 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Nan wrote:
On Apr 7, 4:04 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Nan & Rich Zitney wrote:

[...]

Pond has cleared of the slime on top. DH lowered the water level
making the 'pull' at the sidewall skimmer stronger and that did the
job. We had hooked up the UV light and added a Dunk(BT) as there were
lots of little flying critters just above the water. We are in a
wooded area, with much dampness and skeeters are a huge problem. And
he had added our annual 20 #'s of salt, so I'm sure it was a
combination of things that got it cleared.
Man that stuff was really neon. Glad it's gone!! Thanks for all the
ideas everyone. All help gratefully accepted.
Nan in DE

Rate This Thread: