Old 26-04-2004, 04:22 PM
scs0

Default Do plants remove nitrites or just nitrates?

I know fish and pond waste produces ammonia, then bacteria breaks down
the ammonia into nitrites then other bacteria convert nitrite into the
relatively-harmless nitrates. I know plants will absorb the nitrates,
but do they also absorb nitrites? I haven't been able to find much on
the web mentioning this and I've found some posts saying "yes" and
others saying "no".

I've noticed my fish hanging out near the bubble fountain which is
something they don't normally do. They also don't seem to be swimming
around all that much - usually they're just hanging out together. At
night I can hear them splashing around out there too. They look
healthy because they're plump, have bright colors, and their fins seem
intact and not clamped against their bodies. They haven't been too
eager to eat though, because I'll throw food in and they ignore it. I
assumed this was due to the pond not having much in the way of plant
cover and that my fish don't seem to like me all that much - "what did
I ever do to them???"

My colorcoded water test strip shows that my nitrite level is over 1
which is considered safe, but I did read that long-term exposure to
elivated levels can be harmful too. Most of my submerged vegetation
either died off in the winter or was eaten by my fish so if more
plants will suck in the nitrites I'd like to stock up.

I live in central Florida so my daily temps have been in the 80s for a
few weeks.

Thanks
Old 27-04-2004, 01:05 AM

plants use ammonia directly. with the temps that high how is your aeration?
with nitrites that high did you add some salt and definitely do some water changes to
get it down. dont throw food in if the fish arent eating, maybe cut way down on food
and get the highest quality food you can, less waste.
time for a veggie filter. fish dont eat veggie filters. Ingrid

(scs0) wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 27-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Cichlidiot

scs0 wrote:
snip
My colorcoded water test strip shows that my nitrite level is over 1
which is considered safe, but I did read that long-term exposure to
elivated levels can be harmful too. Most of my submerged vegetation
either died off in the winter or was eaten by my fish so if more
plants will suck in the nitrites I'd like to stock up.

I consider 1ppm nitrite to be right on the edge of 'bad news'. Nitrite
poisoning is a nasty thing. If nitrite is taken up into the fishes'
bodies, it will bond with hemoglobin in the blood, creating a form that is
unable to transport oxygen. If too much hemoglobin gets thusly converted,
the fish essentially suffocate to death because their blood is unable to
transport sufficient oxygen. The signs this is getting serious is when
they are gasping at the surface or gathering in oxygen rich areas. Given
than your fish are displaying such symptoms, I would think you're very
close to the critical threshold.

Now, in a normal tank I would add rock salt to mitigate the effects of
nitrite poisoining after doing a water change. The chloride ions in salt
compete with nitrite in the gills for uptake. If you have sufficient
chloride ions (usually as little as a teaspoon per 20 gallons is enough in
this case), they will be absorbed instead of nitrite. Water changes of
course reduce the nitrite concentration. How this would translate over to
a pond situation, I can't quite say, having never added salt to a pond.
You should however think about doing a water change to get some fresh
water in there. Also check for (and remove) any sources of nitrogen such
as decaying plant or food matter.

As for plants, I did a study for plant bio classes years ago using
terrestrial plants. There were three groups fed ammonia, nitrite and
nitrate as their nitrogen sources. Those fed nitrite were the worst in
terms of growth. Most plants prefer ammonia and nitrate as a nitrogen
source. They will use nitrite, but it is not preferred. Now, on the flip
side, adding plants might help by absorbing enough ammonia before the
bacteria converts it into nitrite, thus indirectly reducing the nitrite
levels. Plus, removing nitrates will help allieviate some of the stress on
the fish. Just make sure they are healthy plants that won't decay and add
to the problem. Also make sure you don't add so many plants that they
compete with the fish for oxygen at night. Right now you also want to
focus on keeping the water well-oxygenated so the fish can get sufficient
oxygen even with the nitrite poisoning going on. Perhaps focus on
oxygenating plants for the moment and replace other plants later on.

Nitrites hawksight Ponds 3 04-09-2005 02:01 PM
High nitrates & algae & weak plants Fernando Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 25-04-2005 02:23 AM
Still Puzzled about Nitrites SueAndHerZoo Ponds 10 06-04-2004 09:26 PM
source of nitrites.... where can I get some? 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
source of nitrites.... where can I get some? 350X_Rider Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 18-03-2003 08:44 AM