Old 13-04-2003, 01:08 PM
hugh janus

Default pests

last year after just moving home we found we had an apple tree and it
produced an abundance of apples but, everyone had been attacked,I wrote to
this group to find out what the pests were and I was told sawfly and codling
moth were responsible to avoid the probs i had last year whets the best
method for controlling/killing these pests, brand names would be useful if
poss
thanks in advance

Old 13-04-2003, 10:56 PM
bnd777

Bit late now
The trees should have been sprayed with Winter wash and have grease bands
put on them long since

Old 14-04-2003, 10:20 AM
jane

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 21:49:39 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

~Bit late now
~The trees should have been sprayed with Winter wash and have grease bands
~put on them long since

I read the other day that this is actually a bit of myth. Grease bands
stop a wingless moth (someone will probably know what species) from
crawling up the bark to lay eggs in the bark. This isn't the codling
moth, of which both genders can fly so grease won't help!
Control for that is pheromone-based. You can buy a green tent-like
thing from good garden centres (£6-7 for the tent plus two refills)
which has a sticky base insert and a little pheromone capsule. When
the blossom is just starting to drop, you assemble it and hang it in
the tree upwind of the prevailing direction, and leave it to catch
male moths. The instructions say it's best used in May, so it's not
too late, too early if anything!

I had one last year and must remember to get a refill for this year.
All my apples were scabby (for different reasons) but I didn't find a
single codling grub (thank goodness!).

~
~
m...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!