Fruit tree prices

Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit tree prices

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

10 per tree sounds very cheap to me, what's wrong with them?

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

10 per tree sounds very cheap to me, what's wrong with them?

Nothing that I can see - about 3-4' tall and healthy looking, with roots
covered.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:24:41 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

Cheers

Dave R

Are you able to tap them out of the pots to check the roots? This
sounds almost too cheap for "named" trees and it may be that they are
unsold bare roots simply shoved into pots.

OTOH, Parkers have this offer:

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-1001...ee-collection/

which are in pots. They have a good reputation so maybe Homebase have
something decent and cheap (for once).

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the sunny and refreshingly green
east end of Swansea Bay.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, 10 April 2012 17:24:41 UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:
Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

I think I'd want a peek at the roots. I'd also want to know what the rootstocks were. 3-4ft isn't very big even for a maiden apple tree on a typical dwarfing/semi-dwarfing rootstock like M106 or M26.

Rod
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Location: South Wales

On Apr 10, 6:18*pm, Rod wrote:
[...]

Rod- Hide quoted text -

More to the point, if you are going to plant them on your alotment, I
wonder.........
Are you allowed to plant trees
Are there any other fruit trees to polinate them, most apples are not
self pollinators
see http://www.shrubs.co.uk/fruit-tree-p...uide-419-c.asp
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees,
2 for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially
if Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

10 per tree sounds very cheap to me, what's wrong with them?

Nothing that I can see - about 3-4' tall and healthy looking, with roots
covered.

--

Do they indicate the rootstock used? Just look for clean undamaged stems
seems a good price

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

Cheers

Dave R

Aldi and lidl and morrisons are all about 4-5 a tree.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees,
2 for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially
if Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

10 per tree sounds very cheap to me, what's wrong with them?

Nothing that I can see - about 3-4' tall and healthy looking, with roots
covered.

--

Do they indicate the rootstock used? Just look for clean undamaged stems
seems a good price

Will go back for another look (just saw them, felt temptation, came home to
Google).
If they don't specify a dwarfing or semi-dwarfing then I wil assume full
height.
Although our last Victoria on (IIRC) St Julien A semi-dwarfing was still
pretty big.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

Cheers

Dave R

Aldi and lidl and morrisons are all about 4-5 a tree.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Thanks - IIRC the trees in Aldi and Lidl have already been through (so
perhaps not again till next year) and they were significantly smaller than
these.
Will look at Morrisons but again I sem to recall much smaller treees.
I may have underestimated the height because I an trying to remember how
high they were and how far off the ground the roots were.
Another visit scheduled :-)

Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 6:18 pm, Rod wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 April 2012 17:24:41 UTC+1, David WE Roberts wrote:

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees,
2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially
if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

I think I'd want a peek at the roots. I'd also want to know what the
rootstocks were. 3-4ft isn't very big even for a maiden apple tree on a
typical dwarfing/semi-dwarfing rootstock like M106 or M26.

Rod- Hide quoted text -

**
More to the point, if you are going to plant them on your alotment, I
wonder.........
Are you allowed to plant trees
Are there any other fruit trees to polinate them, most apples are not
self pollinators
see http://www.shrubs.co.uk/fruit-tree-p...uide-419-c.asp
**

Thanks for the link.

Next plot has plums - and Victorias are self fertile.
Next plot also has apples and there are more around the site.
I note that Bramley is shown as 'T' - needing two other varieties - we
managed at our previous house with a Bramley and a Queen Cox so presumably
there was a third one around somewhere.
This allotment is quite old and there are all sorts of things on there - no
pigs anymore, but still plenty of chickens despite the Council's gentle
disapproval (I am told that there is a 1950s law which allows the keeping of
chicken on allotments).
So a couple more fruit trees will not make much difference.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
kay kay is offline

Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Are there any other fruit trees to polinate them, most apples are not
self pollinators
see Fruit Tree Pollination Guide
In particular, Bramley doesn't produce viable pollen, so not only does it need a pollinator, you need a second pollinator to pollinate the pollinator.

There again, if there are other apple trees on the allotments, you may get away with it, if they flower at the same time - but you'd be dependent for your apple crop on other people's decisions.

I'd want to know the rootstock, because this will determine whether you get a small tree that needs staking all its life, or a huge tree which will shade out your entire allotment and that of your neighbour as well.

And I suppose I'd also be wondering whether I really want to buy a Bramley, which is readily available in the supermarket, or whether I'd prefer to buy some other cooking apple with a different taste.
__________________
Old 11-04-2012, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees,
2 for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially
if Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

10 per tree sounds very cheap to me, what's wrong with them?

Nothing that I can see - about 3-4' tall and healthy looking, with roots
covered.

--

Do they indicate the rootstock used? Just look for clean undamaged stems
seems a good price

I now have :-)

Victoria Plum - semi dwarfing Myrobalan - self fertile
Greengage - semi dwarfing Myrobalan - self fertile
Bramley - semi dwarfing M7 - pollenator for ER
Egremont Russet - semi dwarfing M7 - pollenator for B

All trees are 2m tall.

The label states that the trees are not established in the pots i.e. they
have been put in the pots to transport and sell and have not been in them
long term.
I did see a couple where there were roots showing above the post suggesting
that the pot wasn't really deep enough for that particular tree.

However all four look pretty good, and I've just been to Lidl which has
dwarf fruit trees for 9.99 so the price still seems reasonable.

Now to go and plant them out whilst the weather is nice and showery.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Just wandering through Homebase and they have containerised fruit trees, 2
for 20.

Now I don't usually trust HomeBase to be cheap for anything (especially if
Jamie Oliver branded) but Google sugests that 10 a tree is quite a
resonable price, with most bare rooted trees being slightly more.

Are these good value?

Thinking probably of a Victoria plum and a Bramley apple to go on the
allotment.

Cheers

Dave R
--

Bramleys are a triploid, you will need two different apple trees to
pollinate it.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 PM
kay kay is offline

More precisely, it won't reciprocate, so although the ER may pollinate the B, the B will not pollinate the ER, so you'll get a poor set on the ER. You need a third tree to pollinate the ER.